Re: Google Alert - Climate restoration

John Nissen

Apr 25, 2022, 9:41:45 AM4/25/22
to Chris Vivian, noac-m...@googlegroups.com, Brian von Herzen, Russ George, Ron Larson, Robert Tulip, Planetary Restoration, Shaun Fitzgerald
I wonder if any of the prize-winners explicitly address the problem of declining fish stocks expressed in this "New Scientist Daily" article:

Humans eat seafood in copious quantity and variety. Annual global consumption is around 155 million tonnes, about a third of all of the animal flesh eaten in total, with more than 2000 species consumed worldwide. Demand is forecast to double, but even now, this consumption has a devastating effect. Around 70 per cent of wild fish stocks are overfished, says Julian Barbière at UNESCO, while fishing methods such as bottom trawling are horribly destructive. Modern fishing vessels burn a lot of oil to chug around the ocean, haul their nets and refrigerate their catch, making the average carbon footprint of a kilogram of wild-caught fish greater than that of a kilogram of pork and approaching that of beef.

Clearly, we need a blue revolution for the regeneration of ocean life.  I believe we also need a super-green revolution to put carbon in the soil, using regenerative agriculture and biochar.

The Centre for Climate Repair at Cambridge (CCRC) has 3Rs: Reduce, Remove and Refreeze. Perhaps there need to be 4Rs to include Regeneration.

But unless we refreeze the Arctic soon we are almost certain toast.  Join us at the PRAG meeting later today to discuss the stark choices [1].

Cheers, John

[1] Robert Tulip writes:

Meeting Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87270131801?pwd=OFZvMkRVVnRQUUhpUzJBM0kwZnFjUT09

9pm Monday UK = 1pm Monday California = 6am Tuesday Australia AEST.  See you then.

Join email list at https://groups.google.com/g/planetary-restoration/members

https://planetaryrestoration.net/

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 11:03 AM Chris Vivian <chris....@btinternet.com> wrote:

John,

The Planetary website says that their process:

  • Removes CO2 from the atmosphere and store it permanently
  • Converts mine tailings into safe, pure, alkalinity
  • Generates green hydrogen and battery metals that replace fossil fuels
  • Reduces the local impacts of ocean acidification

The ocean element is thus ocean alkalinisation that should store carbon in a safe and nearly permanent form (i.e. 10,000 to 100,000 years). As always, the devil will be in the detail, particularly any biological effects.

Note that there was a third ocean-based winner of X-Prize $ - (https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220422005151/en/XPRIZE-and-the-Musk-Foundation-Award-15M-to-Prize-Milestone-Winners-in-100M-Carbon-Removal-Competition)  namely Captura (https://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capturacorp.com&esheet=52693923&newsitemid=20220422005151&lan=en-US&anchor=Captura&index=15&md5=77c922b39ff780ab3ee4f64bcaaad288) that plans to extract CO2 from sea water but does not then say what it is going to do with it!

Chris.

From: Google Alerts <googlealer...@google.com>
Date: Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 11:02 AM
Subject: Google Alert - Climate restoration
To: <johnnis...@gmail.com>

Google

Climate restoration

Daily update April 23, 2022

NEWS

Grant Supports Ecological Restoration and Climate Resilience in the Berkshires - iBerkshires.com

iBerkshires.com

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — On behalf of the Berkshire Clean, Cold and Connected (BCCC) Restoration Partnership, the Housatonic Valley Association (HVA) ...

Facebook

Twitter

Flag as irrelevant

Climate Tech Startup Planetary Technologies Wins $1M XPRIZE Carbon Removal Milestone Award

Business Wire

Restoring the ocean's balance also helps to reverse the damage caused by ocean acidification resulting from climate change. As the mine waste is ...

Facebook

Twitter

Flag as irrelevant

New Jersey spending $21M on projects to fight climate change | Govt-and-politics

Press of Atlantic City

New Jersey's government is spending $21 million on projects to help fight climate change, including restoring salt marshes such as this one in ...

Facebook

Twitter

Flag as irrelevant

See more results | Edit this alert

You have received this email because you have subscribed to Google Alerts.

RSSReceive this alert as RSS feed