Re: The next NOAC meeting is : Monday 29th May (Aus: Tue 30th, 6am AEST)

Sev Clarke

May 28, 2023, 10:46:16 PM5/28/23
to Clive Elsworth, 'Anderson, Paul' via NOAC Meetings, 'Sev Clarke' via Healthy Planet Action Coalition (HPAC), Healthy Climate Alliance, 'Sev Clarke' via Planetary Restoration, 'Chris Vivian' via Carbon Dioxide Removal
Hi folks,

Last weekend, my extended family celebrated the birthday of my sister-in-law at my brothers’ farm, ‘Pinebank'. Before the main celebration some of the younger members, being deeply concerned with the climate situation, asked me what I and my colleagues had been doing on the climate issue. Many of you will have had similar challenges put to you. Rather than give them an off-the-cuff response on such a vital issue, I wrote up the attached text for presentation on the quiet day after the main celebration. As it was well-received, I thought that some of you might find some value in it. Should it be thought useful, it may be discussed by us and, perhaps, then made more widely available. Over to you.
ThePinebankAssessment.pdf

Robert Chris

May 29, 2023, 5:59:24 AM5/29/23
to planetary-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sev

Nice piece.  Your young family members seem to be pretty switched on.  What questions did they throw back at you?  How old are they?

I was interested to see you present TRM as a fourth option.  Do you have any references to indicate what proportion of the LWR released by TRM in the troposphere finds its way to the TOA and into outer space?   I ask because some time ago I was looking at using large solar chimneys to create a massive updraft of hot air (100m in diameter travelling at 150kph starting at 30C) that would do much the same thing, take some of the heat high enough to escape into outer space.  I discussed the idea with Kevin Trenberth at NOAA and he said that he doubted it would work because the heat would have been dispersed and recirculated long before it got close to TOA.  But this was a pretty informal exchange, so there may be some evidence to support TRM as a cooling method.

Regards

Robert

On 29/05/2023 03:45, 'Sev Clarke' via Planetary Restoration wrote:
Hi folks,

Last weekend, my extended family celebrated the birthday of my sister-in-law at my brothers’ farm, ‘Pinebank'. Before the main celebration some of the younger members, being deeply concerned with the climate situation, asked me what I and my colleagues had been doing on the climate issue. Many of you will have had similar challenges put to you. Rather than give them an off-the-cuff response on such a vital issue, I wrote up the attached text for presentation on the quiet day after the main celebration. As it was well-received, I thought that some of you might find some value in it. Should it be thought useful, it may be discussed by us and, perhaps, then made more widely available. Over to you.

Sev

On 16 May 2023, at 5:48 pm, Clive Elsworth <Cl...@EndorphinSoftware.co.uk> wrote:

All

You are warmly invited to our fortnightly NOAC meetings.  NOAC = Nature-based Ocean and Atmospheric Cooling.

Sometimes talking is more productive than writing. Participants often resolve disagreements in our NOAC meetings.

Anyone at the start can suggest something for the agenda. You could:
  • ask a question,
  • highlight an article or video,
  • challenge an assumption,
  • make an announcement,
  • present something,
  • etc.

We speak for 90 mins.

The next NOAC meeting is : Monday 29th May (Aus: Tue 30th, 6am AEST)

• 1 pm PT

• 4pm ET

• 4pm VET

• 9pm BST  (UK)

• 10pm CEST (France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Switzerland)

• 6am Tue AEST

Last Meeting:

Agenda
Robert T – Iron Salt Aerosol not mentioned in GeoMIP - https://youtu.be/oS4jFd5JxgI?t=732
Franz – SAI will reduce marine clouds - https://youtu.be/oS4jFd5JxgI?t=1876
Clive – Cooking stoves, could be important for reducing Arctic BC - https://youtu.be/oS4jFd5JxgI?t=3248
John N – Report on F4CR meeting on Saturday - https://youtu.be/oS4jFd5JxgI?t=3723
Rebecca – UNEP report – misguided? (Not so much, if you read towards the end.) - https://youtu.be/oS4jFd5JxgI?t=4777
Sev – Public availability of email exchanges - https://youtu.be/oS4jFd5JxgI?t=5404

Feel free to share recording links with trusted friends and colleagues, but please do not post on social media or websites.

Chat

21:03:38          From  Sev Clarke : UNEP https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/41903/one_atmosphere.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

21:05:22          From  Robert Tulip : Atmos. Chem. Phys., 23, 5149–5176, 2023

https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-23-5149-2023

Opinion: The scientific and community-building roles of the Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project (GeoMIP) – past, present, and future

Daniele Visioni1, Ben Kravitz2,3, Alan Robock4, Simone Tilmes5, Jim Haywood6,7, Olivier Boucher8,

Mark Lawrence9,19, Peter Irvine10, Ulrike Niemeier11, Lili Xia4, Gabriel Chiodo12, Chris Lennard13,

ShingoWatanabe14, John C. Moore15,16,17, and Helene Muri18

22:03:01          From  Robert Chris : Sorry, have to leave.  I'll try to catch up on the recording.  I'm particularly interested in the ChatGPT discussion.

22:12:44          From  Doug Grandt (Vermont) : “…while AI's knowledge base can be impressive and extensive, it is crucial to recognize its limitations and the need for human discernment and critical thinking in interpreting and evaluating the information generated by AI.”

22:26:12          From  Doug Grandt (Vermont) : Daniel Harrison

22:29:04          From  Doug Grandt (Vermont) : google Daniel Harrison great barrier reef marine cloud brightening

22:31:13          From  Paul Anderson : The podcast linked below is exceptionally informative.   All 50 minutes should be heard by anyone interested in planet cooling and Marine Cloud Brightening (MCB). Includes 2020 pilot at the Great Barrier Reef.   And ongoing work.   Podcast dated 2023, so it is recent.   A welcome ray of hope in the climate struggle.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/29-daniel-harrison-on-marine-cloud-brightening-and-the-rrap/id1593211714?i=1000598417935

Contact Details and Past Meetings

Please update our NOAC spreadsheet with your details:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UpmRrXrMtOlXEpqEuFS8db_NpFhTpM2_/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114954647783797253223&rtpof=true&sd=true

NOAC consensus document awaits your input from Sev: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e6i61Zpy0XI5Dw8gMqZ4_A0o6intOLgp/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114954647783797253223&rtpof=true&sd=true

Previous meeting
Agenda
Sev – What is Spark Climate looking at for methane removal? https://youtu.be/UKSnVTtpf2g?t=504
Grant – The search for political sponsorship. https://youtu.be/UKSnVTtpf2g?t=1300
Sev – Project updates?
Robert C – Robert T UK trip. https://youtu.be/UKSnVTtpf2g?t=4939

Send me new people:  Who else should be invited?
Unsubscribe:   Let me know, and I’ll take you off the NOAC-meetings google group.
Clive Elsworth