Re: Bringing order to the chaos of sea level projections

John Nissen

May 23, 2022, 3:34:41 PM5/23/22
to Renaud de RICHTER, Ron Baiman, peter Fiekowsky, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, noac-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Renaud,

It's extraordinary that they mention Antarctica but there's no mention of the Arctic contribution to SLR, which could be anywhere between 0.5 and 7 metres this century.  Because of the growing instability of the Greenland Ice Sheet (GIS), it is not possible to predict when there might be a sudden sea level rise of 0.5 to 2 metres (assuming there's no more than partial disintegration).  None of the models seem to take this into account.

As usual, there is defeatism in the attitude that SLR just has to be accepted, when there are cooling techniques which could make the GIS safe and virtually halt SLR.  SRM seems to be taboo, together with the Arctic situation which requires it so urgently.

This is why we need joint climate activism, which we will be discussing at the PRAG zoom meeting in half an hour.

Cheers, John

SALTER Stephen

May 23, 2022, 3:49:06 PM5/23/22
to John Nissen, Renaud de RICHTER, Ron Baiman, peter Fiekowsky, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, noac-m...@googlegroups.com

Hi All

With apologies to people who have already seen this, I attach some calculations about sea level rise. Please suggest other input assumptions.

Stephen