Re: Temperature graph with infographics

1 view

John Nissen

Jun 2, 2023, 5:01:29 PM6/2/23
to Clive Elsworth, noac-m...@googlegroups.com, Planetary Restoration, Kyle Kimball, Peter Wadhams
Hi Clive,

To make this meaningful it would be interesting to document the changes that have already occurred.  How many people are now suffering from the result of climate change?  Conflicts arise when there has been drought and a shortage of food [1].  Also one could say that mass migration has already started.  How much suffering has there been from floods or heat waves?  These have grown over the past thirty or forty years; rapid warming in the Arctic is implicated through disruption of jet stream behaviour.  IIPCC's attribution studies never seem to take this into account - and the crisis is underplayed: Kyle Kimball has an explanation in terms of economic models which belittle climate change.

Cheers, John

[1] Complex Systems
Food crisis

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 10:24 AM 'Clive Elsworth' via NOAC Meetings <noac-m...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi All

When I look at how the climate crisis is being tackled, my conclusion is that lip service is being paid, i.e. it’s not being taken seriously enough by enough people. If it were, then action would be much better coordinated. For example, $100+ is paid for DAC CDR, while 30% of natural gas is simply flared. Why?

Would someone have time to produce a graph of temperature increase with annotated infographics? i.e. showing the events described in e.g. Mark Lynas’s Six Degrees book? Even without infographics, short descriptions would be more attention grabbing than just an ascending line.

e.g.

– One in two people’s lives are worsened globally

– Tropical diseases reach northern Europe

– Water stress from loss of mountain glaciers provokes new wars every year

– Rich country infrastructure collapses in heat waves

– Famines affect half the world from agricultural collapse

– World’s fisheries all collapse from overfishing

– Accelerated sea level rise prompts billions to move inland

– Widespread piracy in the open seas goes unchecked

– Rich nations overwhelmed by mass migration

– Civic disorder unfolds in most countries

– Widespread theft of nuclear weapons by private military companies

– Etc.

Any takers?

Clive

Clive Elsworth

Jun 2, 2023, 5:50:03 PM6/2/23
to John Nissen, noac-m...@googlegroups.com, Planetary Restoration, Kyle Kimball, Peter Wadhams

Hi John

You could write a report along the lines you say below, but if you want to reach lots of people, I'm suggesting someone draws a picture. Or, more specifically lots of little annotated pictures (infographics) to sprinkle over a temperature projection graph. Ideally it would cause lots of controversy. But there is no such thing as bad publicity.

If you want to write a report detailing what has happened so far and what's coming down the line, a colourful picture at the beginning could help draw attention to such a report.

If the report can also explain why albedo enhancement is needed, then perhaps further down an additional graph sprinkled with happier looking annotated infographics could show how things play out in a more responsibly managed global environment, in which cooling interventions (and GHG removal, mitigation, etc) provide a peaceful, thriving future for civilised life on earth. Once again, cries of foul play would be a good thing because at least people would be starting to get present to what's at stake. We’d need to be ready to robustly answer the criticisms and justify our responses with solid data, or the whole thing would get written off in people's minds and then it would be hard to resurrect.

Clive

Veli Albert Kallio

Jun 4, 2023, 3:28:40 AM6/4/23
to John Nissen, Clive Elsworth, noac-m...@googlegroups.com, Planetary Restoration, Kyle Kimball, Peter Wadhams