Fwd: DSG Quarterly Newsletter: July 2024

Ron Baiman

Jul 25, 2024, 11:42:35 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, Healthy Climate Alliance

Thank you Barbara!

From: Shuchi Talati <sta...@sgdeliberation.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 10:01 AM
Subject: DSG Quarterly Newsletter: July 2024
To: <bjsn...@meer.org>

Featuring our upcoming workshop series in Africa, insights into our global engagement work, and more!
DSG Logo over header image

Quarterly Update |  July 2024

In Memoriam

We’re dedicating this newsletter to Dr. Pablo Suarez after learning the devastating news of his unexpected passing. Pablo brought laughter and joy to spaces that were in desperate need. He was a friend, an inspiration, a joyful cheerleader and a constant collaborator for DSG during the first year of our work. He wanted people to have access to the solar geoengineering space in new and creative ways, and through the games he developed, he allowed them to learn while having fun. He was kind enough to teach us how to run one of his games, Decisions for the Decade, which we ran for the first time earlier this year. We hope to continue to do so in his memory.

Spotlight: Workshop Series in Africa

African nations have started to engage in SRM discussions, but more resources, expertise, and engagement are necessary to generate African knowledge and capacity across a range of sectors to contribute to – and start leading – SRM deliberations in the international sphere. DSG’s Shuchi Talati and The African Climate Foundation Executive Director Saliem Fakir co-authored an op-ed on the need to support diverse perspectives and an informed civil society. Read the op-ed: Africa cannot afford to be complacent about solar radiation management (Climate Home News).

In August, we're teaming up with The African Climate Foundation to launch workshops on SRM from an African perspective. As with all DSG workshops, these sessions are non-advocacy focused, aiming to boost the knowledge and capacity of African stakeholders in SRM. Participants will engage with experts, learn about diverse climate intervention techniques, and contribute to building African narratives on SRM. For more details, read the concept note.

Workshop Information:

Workshop I:

Science Basics of Climate Change and SRM

Date: 06 August 2024

Time: 13:00 to 17:00 (UTC+2) South Africa

Agenda for Workshop I

Workshop II:

State of SRM Governance and Future Frameworks

Date: 28 August 2024

Time: 13:00 to 17:00 (UTC+2) South Africa

Agenda for Workshop II

Register by Monday, July 29, 2024. A link to join the virtual meeting rooms and pre-reading materials will be provided a week before each workshop. This workshop series will be followed by a third in-person, invite-only workshop in Cape Town on October 25, 2024 that will focus on co-creating South African stakeholders’ perspectives on SRM. Participation in the virtual workshop will provide a critical baseline to inform invitations for the in-person workshop.

Insights into our Global Engagement work

DSG aims to bridge the gap between scientific discussions and the practical, on-the-ground needs of those most at-risk, fostering a more collaborative discussion on SG. But recognizing our resource restraints, we sometimes receive questions about the approach to our engagement strategy – specifically, where do we go, and why? The diverse nature of climate impacts across countries, societies, and ecosystems, and the DSG mission to empower local and global stakeholders to make informed, justice-oriented decisions around SG, necessitates a multi-faceted assessment in building our engagement strategy. DSG aims to bridge the gap between advanced scientific discussions and the practical, on-the-ground needs of those most at risk, fostering a more collaborative discussion on SG. This report aims to provide transparency and insight into DSG’s decision-making on where we engage.

Read the report

Partnerships

We're excited to announce new partnerships that amplify our collective impact on responsible and equitable solar geoengineering discussions. By collaborating with academics, scientists, policymakers, and civil society groups, DSG integrates diverse expertise, ensuring legitimacy and inclusivity. These alliances enrich dialogue, enhance deliberation, and foster trust among stakeholders. Together, we navigate the complexities of solar geoengineering governance, promoting transparency and advancing ethical, informed, and socially just decisions. We're thrilled to showcase these recent partnerships and look forward to building more in the future.

Visit the Partnerships Page

Recent DSG Articles

In the Media

Recent & Upcoming Events

Recent Events

  • On May 21, Shuchi Talati joined a panel co-hosted by The Institute for Science & Policy and the Institute for Responsible Carbon Removal to explore solar geoengineering approaches. The panel of experts discuss the latest deliberations around research, governance, impacts, and more. Watch the full session.

  • During the Arctic Congress, which took place from May 29 to June 3, DSG presented our Arctic Futures/Foresights workshops during the Arctic Congress.

  • On June 17, DSG hosted a Collaborative Futures of Climate Repair workshop at the Think Corner in Helsinki, in partnership with the Finnish science communication group Operaatio Artkis.

Upcoming Events

  • On July 30, DSG and Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), a premier think tank of Pakistan, will co-host a webinar, Science of SRM: Research Implications for Pakistan. This will kick off a webinar series that will introduce both the science and governance aspects of SRM to a Pakistani audience.

  • On September 25, The International Center for Future Generations and DSG will co-host an event during the UN Summit for the Future and the NYC Climate Week 2024.

Visit DSG’s Events page to learn more.

If you've been forwarded this message, sign up for the DSG newsletter:

Sign Up
Twitter iconLinkedIn iconThreads icon
Logo

Copyright (C) 2023 DSG. All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe