Re: SilverLining at COP27: A Recap

Ron Baiman

Jan 9, 2023, 3:49:57 PM1/9/23
to H simmens, healthy-planet-action-coalition, Planetary Restoration, Healthy Climate Alliance, geoengineering, via NOAC Meetings
Thanks for sharing Herb!  I’m almost through the first in the series and it’s excellent. I highly recommend! For example Kelly Wanser notes that $250 M is being spent to research methods to redirect a possible asteroid collision with earth that has an estimated 1/20,000 chance, no where near this is being spent to address the known risks of near term warming with or without GHG reduction and removal - paraphrasing but I think the numbers are right!
Best,
Ron

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 6, 2023, at 9:46 AM, H simmens <hsim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Below you will find videos of a number of important discussions focused on climate intervention at COP 27.

View this email in your browser

As we begin this year, we would like to share a brief recap of our time at the 27th Conference of the Parties (COP27) in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt.  We engaged with stakeholders from around the world on climate research and technology disparity and access for the Global South; the possibility of climate intervention to reduce tipping point risks; disaster risk reduction for cities; ocean solutions; and the role of research, equity, and justice in assessing the potential of climate interventions to reduce near-term climate risks.

It was the first year in which there were panels discussing solar climate intervention in the official "Blue Zone", including an event hosted by the internationally appointed UN Climate Change High-Level Champions.  In the context of increased focus on loss and damage and significant gaps in emissions reductions, there was active interest from attendees from highly impacted regions in an expanded set of options for maintaining the 1.5°C climate target.

We were fortunate to engage with a fascinating, diverse set of scientists, youth leaders, advocates, and innovators. In case you did not catch us in Sharm-El-Sheikh, our events recap and video recordings are below. For more information on speakers, event highlights, climate intervention and silverlining, visit our website

Nature Zone Pavilion: Repairing Our World to Avoid Runaway Climate Change
Learn more | Watch here [88 min]

Hosted by UN Climate Champions as part of their Futures Labs series, this event opened with a groundbreaking discussion with Earth Commissioners, Johan Rockström and David Obura, on climate tipping points. It included an introduction to possible interventions to reduce climate warming or impacts to protect these systems; remarks from global youth leaders, governance experts, and Egypt’s UN High-Level Climate Champion Dr. Mahmoud Mohieldin; and a fireside chat with UN Youth Envoy Joshua Amponsem on considerations for justice and equity.

Ocean Pavilion: Models for Reducing Risk: Oceans, Vulnerability, and Climate Solutions
Learn more | Watch here [62 min]

With perspectives from impacted communities, climate science, and international law, this session explored considerations for climate justice and cutting-edge climate science to help protect the world’s most vulnerable people and ecosystems. Speakers included international law expert Dan Bodansky, WRI US Director Dan Lashof, Executive Director Kelly Wanser, UN Youth Envoy Joshua Amponsem, Sustenta Honduras Executive Director Ricardo Pineda Guzman, and ExO Solutions CEO Nishan Degnarain.

Resilience Hub: Designing for Crisis and Conflict: Integrated Urban Responses for People and Infrastructure in Response to Climate-induced Risks
Watch here [52 min]

Co-organized with the Green Africa Youth Organization, this event highlighted the potential for climate intervention to reduce urban disaster risk and increase communities’ resilience to climate impacts. The event included presentations of studies on urban flooding in China and projected extreme precipitation under warming and climate intervention.

SDG Pavilion: The Transformational Possibilities of Equity in Climate Science Research for the Global South
Watch here [43 min]

This event brought together climate science and data experts to discuss why improving climate modeling and data access capacities in the Global South is a justice issue, and what this could mean for protecting people and the environment where it is most needed.

Children and Youth Pavilion: Changing Youth Narratives From Risk To Resilience
Watch here [16 min]

Co-organized with several youth organizations, this interactive session explored climate solutions that youth are bringing to climate resilience.

OUR OTHER EVENTS

Qatar Pavilion: Uniting Young Science Voices for Better Climate Action

Organized by the Qatar Pavilion, this event brought together a diverse group of youth working in climate science, including SilverLining Research Fellow Aarushi Shah. Her remarks emphasized the importance of youth involvement in climate science.

Reception: Intergenerational Dialogue on Climate Intervention

SilverLining hosted a reception to foster an intergenerational dialogue on climate intervention amongst young climate leaders and senior climate scientists. We engaged with young professionals from all over the world.

WHAT IS COP27?

The 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27) takes place November 6-18 in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. As we face the global threat of climate change, COP27 is an opportunity for world leaders to advance on measures to address the causes and effects of climate change.

As leaders gather in Egypt, the UN Foundation will put a spotlight on key issues from climate finance to adaptation to oceans and shipping.

About SilverLining

SilverLining is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that society has sufficient options to address near-term climate risks. SilverLining engages with the research community, policymakers, technologists, civil society, and people from all walks of life to help advance research and innovation in efforts to ensure a safe climate.

Learn more at our website and follow us on social media below.

Twitter
LinkedIn
Website
Copyright © 2022 SilverLining, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
SilverLining
500 North Capitol St NW #210
Washington, DC 20001

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.