Article in The Economist about SAI

Rebecca personal em

Nov 22, 2022, 3:04:58 AM11/22/22
to Planetary Restoration
Dear all,

I enjoyed meeting you & joining discussions in PRAG this morning.

Below is an article from The Economist, 5 November 2022, about the dangers of SAI by individual countries / rogue billionaires, with potentially dire consequences.

The reasons I’m sending it are:

1. Example of what’s being said in the serious press, creating caution/fear and focus on emissions reduction.

2. What do the experts think of the science?

It seems counter to John Nissan’s argument that SAI, at least in the Arctic regions, is safe and may prevent tipping points.

I understand that people in the PRAG group have been talking about evaluating the costs and benefits of the technical options, including SAI.

My main comment is how to channel and focus the energy; I know there is no easy solution, and I admire the work that each of you are doing greatly.

I realise there is a huge volume of material, and if people don’t have time/energy to respond, that’s fine. I thought it’s interesting to know what’s out there in the space between experts and the general public.

Kind regards to all,
Rebecca Bishop

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Reiss Jones

Nov 22, 2022, 4:07:09 AM11/22/22
to Rebecca personal em, Planetary Restoration
Hey Rebecca,

Thank for sending this! To your point it’s super important that we have a good bearing on SRM discussion in the mainstream media (even tho the Economist is targeted at a largely intellectual customer base).

I wonder if the Economist’s perspective on this has changed? In a podcast episode just before COP27, they mentioned that SRM should be considered. Although it may be the case that different journalists in the same paper are allowed to write different opinions.

I think one way to promote SAI/SRM in the press is to embrace a tagline approach, typical of big political movements. For example: “Build Back Better”, “Get Brexit Done”, “Hands, Face, Space”, “Make America Great Again” and build a pro-SAI campaign. These tagline obviously promote different levels of good/bad depending on your perspective and the same can be said for a campaign for SAI. Still, if that is what we want to promote, a campaign using simple taglines to create a strongly pro-x voting base is proven to work time and again and could be applied to SAI.

An example of a tagline could be: “Take back your future”, or “Unleash [insert country name here] with Cheap Clouds for Climate”. Something that’s relatable to the wider voting base.

Putting any issues of whether SAI is a good thing or not, thoughts on such a campaign orchestrated in this way?

Best,
Reiss