Weird window behaviour when using p9p & xfce ubuntu

Kevin Smallman

Mar 2, 2021, 12:36:33 PM3/2/21
to plan9port-dev
Hi there,

I've got 9term and bash, rc, plumber set up more to my liking to be able to use with my daily ubuntu driver thanks to the tweaks I've found around the internet to various login and non-login profiles.

What I'm left with is some annoying window behaviour that happens primarily with the 9term and sam windows, which are running as xfce4 wm windows right now.
This happens when I try to drag them about the desktop or resize them constantly.  They glitch so that once you've tried moving them, they get stuck in that mode a bit like you've got the mouse button still pressed when you haven't, if that makes sense.  Then you have to try and shut them down and start again, which is awkward.  Sometimes, also I'm typing on the keyboard and nothing happens and this effects non plan9 windows too.  I use the focus follows mouse mode.

I can't figure out if this is just a bug or there's some extra tweak that I've got wrong that is causing this annoying behaviour.  I know that regular terminal windows sometimes use an option called 'checkwinsize' or something to format shell output correctly and wondered if it could be something like that that is causing this.

Someone here must know.

Thanks.

Ethan Gardener

Mar 2, 2021, 6:35:36 PM3/2/21
to plan9p...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 2, 2021, at 3:12 PM, Kevin Smallman wrote:
Hi there,

I've got 9term and bash, rc, plumber set up more to my liking to be able to use with my daily ubuntu driver thanks to the tweaks I've found around the internet to various login and non-login profiles.

What I'm left with is some annoying window behaviour that happens primarily with the 9term and sam windows, which are running as xfce4 wm windows right now.
This happens when I try to drag them about the desktop or resize them constantly.  They glitch so that once you've tried moving them, they get stuck in that mode a bit like you've got the mouse button still pressed when you haven't, if that makes sense.  Then you have to try and shut them down and start again, which is awkward.  Sometimes, also I'm typing on the keyboard and nothing happens and this effects non plan9 windows too.  I use the focus follows mouse mode.

9term has problems much like this with some window managers, but it's the first I've heard of sam having the same problems. I've always put it down to 9term's attempts to pass button 3 through to the root window, but even in that case I don't know why it should cause problems when button 3 isn't pressed.

Kevin Smallman

Mar 3, 2021, 8:47:59 AM3/3/21
to plan9port-dev
Hi yeah, there was a similar issue raised directly on the github page.  The author there thought it was to do with mouse events which seems more likely.