Raspi-Config Error

Mustafa Yuce

Jan 21, 2016, 12:37:05 PM1/21/16
to plan44_vdcd
Hello Lucas,

When I try to expand sd card by using rasp-config it gives me error as "/dev/root is not the last partition. Don't know how to   expand". How can we solve this? Could you please help us?

Kind Regards,

Mustafa

Lukas Zeller

Jan 22, 2016, 5:25:31 AM1/22/16
to Mustafa Yuce, plan44_vdcd
Hello Mustafa,

> On 21.01.2016, at 18:37, Mustafa Yuce <mustaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When I try to expand sd card by using rasp-config it gives me error as "/dev/root is not the last partition. Don't know how to expand". How can we solve this? Could you please help us?

There's probably no way around getting firmly familiar with Linux partitioning, filesystem and imaging tools if you want to build your own image ;-)

The P44-DSB-X image has 2 partitions (standard raspian), a small FAT one for boot and a larger one for the root fs. The root partition is initially as small as possible, just enough to fit linux and all tools we need, which is currently around 600MBytes.

At first boot, the root partition is automatically expanded to 1.5GByte, and a third small writable partition is created for the /flash (using sfdisk, mkfs.ext4 and resize2fs).
This third partition is what you gives the "/dev/root is not the last partition..." message from raspiconfig.

This approach makes enough free space on the root partiton to allow installing more tools for experimenting with the P44-DSB-X. Still, the entire image remains under 2GB, so it fits on a 2G SD card and is not too fat to create backups.

Lukas