MQTT

Florian Hensel

Apr 14, 2016, 3:28:32 PM4/14/16
to plan44_vdcd
Hi Lukas,

did you ever thought about an MQTT connection? In this way it would be possible to link arduino bases standalone devices like maker weather stations, logging data like motion sensors on for cat apartment travel :-) or even connect openHAB to digitalStrom without the need of an root password :-) MQTT would be a great step in getting informations from dSS and even to send sensor values in the dSS. What would you think about it?

Greetings

Florian

Lukas Zeller

Apr 14, 2016, 4:31:28 PM4/14/16
to Florian Hensel, plan44_vdcd
Hi Florian,

> On 14.04.2016, at 20:00, Florian Hensel <hef.f....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> did you ever thought about an MQTT connection? In this way it would be possible to link arduino bases standalone devices like maker weather stations, logging data like motion sensors on for cat apartment travel :-) or even connect openHAB to digitalStrom without the need of an root password :-)

I have no own experience with MQTT so far. What I've read so far sounds interesting tough :-)

But MQTT is a message passing mechanism, and by itself does not have standardized device profiles or something similar (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong).

So to make a device out of a MQTT client, some kind of middleware would be required, like a device driver, linking it to custom devices or architectures such as Lelylan.

I'd say that the new "external device API" of the vdcd (see https://github.com/plan44/vdcd/blob/master/docs/plan44%20vdcd%20external%20device%20API.pdf) could be a good connection point for docking such "device driver" middleware for MQTT based IoT devices. The API is very simple to use from any language, scripted or compiled, and allows to dynamically adding and removing devices.
Using one of the many existing MQTT libraries, I'd say bringing a simple MQTT sensor device into digitalSTROM is probably not more than a few lines of code.
The "external device API" is enabled in all P44-DSB that have testing feed firmware and on the P44-DSB-X.

> MQTT would be a great step in getting informations from dSS and even to send sensor values in the dSS. What would you think about it?

For sending sensor values or controlling lights or blinds, using virtual devices is certainly the way to go.

However, supervising an entire dS system is a different thing. For that, you would still need to connect via dSS API.

Lukas