Plan 44 Debian Image Size

Mustafa Yuce

Jul 3, 2015, 9:42:53 AM7/3/15
to plan4...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukas;

We setup "p44-dsb-x-diy" image on the plan44 device. We use two programs for this operation. One of them is SDFormatter to format SD card. Second is "Win32DiskImager" to upload "img" file to to SD Card. Everything is ok up to now. But when we look at the size of the SD Card it seems approximately 50 mb. So After installing big size packages, we get memory insufficient error. Do you have img file that is bigger than 50mb. We have 8GB SD card and if possible could you please preaper an plan44 image file for 8 gb SD card ?

Kind Regards

Mustafa Yüce

Lukas Zeller

Jul 3, 2015, 10:13:41 AM7/3/15
to Mustafa Yuce, plan4...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mustafa,

The size of the image (unzipped) is around 800 Megabytes (if it is only 50Mb, the download was incomplete).

It is sufficient to just unzip the downloaded file, then copy the image to a SDCard with Win32DiskImager. There's usually no need to format the card first, because copying a raw image replaces everything on the card, including any previous formatting (partition table).

Once you start the RaspberryPi with the SDCard, you will have a root partition of 800MB size, but only around 70MB free. That's way enough for normal operation of the P44-DSB-X, but obviously not enough to install a lot of other software, compilers etc.

However, you don't need a bigger image - there's an easy way to expand the already installed image to the full size of your SDCard:

- Login to the P44-DSB-X via ssh as root with password eXperiment (see README that comes with the image)

- use the following commands:

apt-get install raspi-config

raspi-config

- in raspi-config, choose option 1, "Expand Filesystem", and reboot

Now you have a file system occupying all of your SD card, and lots of free space to install more software :-)

Please note that all of this is documented in the "How to build vdsm and vdcd on Linux - in particular Raspian on P44-DSB-X.md" file in the /docs folder of the vdcd repo.

Best Regards,

Lukas
> --
> Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie in Google Groups E-Mails von der Gruppe "plan44_vdcd" abonniert haben.

Mustafa Yuce

Jul 6, 2015, 4:16:13 AM7/6/15
to plan4...@googlegroups.com, mustaf...@gmail.com
Than you so much. It makes our life really easier. We are very happy for your help.