Dali Device

Mustafa Yuce

Nov 20, 2015, 7:44:28 AM11/20/15
to plan44_vdcd
Hi Lukas,

We are trying to add dali device to plan44. We connect dali device to serial port on raspi as enocean. Then we have changed  then run script in /etc/service/vdcd folder as it executes vdcd service with dali. Now we are running vdcd service with "--dali /dev/ttyAMA0" executable arguments. We saw the dali vdsm on vdcd web interface. Bu we couldnt find a way how we add dali device under dali vdsm. Could you please help us.

Kind Regards,

Mustafa
Arnido Bilisim

Lukas Zeller

Nov 23, 2015, 5:44:52 AM11/23/15
to plan44_vdcd
Hi Mustafa,

the dali implementation in vdcd is designed to work with the custom hardware in the P44-DSB-DEH (plan44 product) and cannot be used on the RPi as is. Dali is not just 1:1 serial UART, but has different bit encoding, frames, timing and of course voltage levels.

So if you need dali, I'd recommend to buy a P44-DSB-DEH. After all, plan44 has to live from something, so I won't encourage just cloning my existing products ;-)

Best Regards,

Lukas

Mustafa Yuce

Nov 27, 2015, 3:54:36 AM11/27/15
to plan44_vdcd
Hi Lukas,

After your advice we have bought a P44-DSB-DEH device. I see again it is running Linux/Debian OS on it. We would like to connect Linux/Debian by Putty or WinSCP like programs but we dont know root password of Linux/Debian. Could you please send us Linux/Debian [root:password] of this device to be able to connect it.

Kind Regards,

Mustafa

Lukas Zeller

Nov 27, 2015, 6:05:18 PM11/27/15
to Mustafa Yuce, plan44_vdcd
Hi Mustafa,

> On 27.11.2015, at 09:54, Mustafa Yuce <mustaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> After your advice we have bought a P44-DSB-DEH device. I see again it is running Linux/Debian OS on it.

Linux yes, Debian no - it's running a customized distro from digi.com. As the device has very limited storage, it's massively stripped down, and lacks almost everything you'd be used to from Debian/Raspian. For instance, no apt-get and no sftp (and no flash space to install anything extra).

> We would like to connect Linux/Debian by Putty or WinSCP like programs but we dont know root password of Linux/Debian. Could you please send us Linux/Debian [root:password] of this device to be able to connect it.

If you insist, and you can make the device available for remote support (i.e. enabling digitalSTROM cloud access to the dSS installation it is connected to), I can set you a root password. But you would loose any warranty and support for that device. I would definitely not recommend doing that!

I wonder what you expect to gain by root access to the device - you'll find nothing different than what is already on the open P44-DSB-X.

The P44-DSB-DEH and P44-DSB-E are commercial products, and definitely not meant to hack and modify.

That's why I made the P44-DSB-X available - as an open platform to integrate your own hardware & software into digitalSTROM, on the well-known basis of Raspbian.

Best Regards,

Lukas