How should Iowa's natural resource funding be spent?

Kelly Fuller

Sep 3, 2009, 12:58:55 PM9/3/09
to plains-just...@googlegroups.com
If you live in Iowa and you'd like to see good stewardship of Iowa's natural resources, you know that it's important the Iowa Department of Natural Resources be well funded and that its funding be well spent. There are upcoming opportunities to give your input to the state of Iowa about these matters (scroll down).

The information below and attached comes from the Iowa Environmental Council. If you have questions, please contact them at 515.244.1194.

Many thanks,

Kelly Fuller
Communications Director
Plains Justice

                                                        *          *           *

In preparation for the REAP Congress (http://www.iowadnr.gov/reap/index.html) to be held January 9, 2010 in the House of Representatives at the State Capitol, REAP Assemblies will meet September through October.  Attached to this e-mail are the dates and locations of the Assemblies with the first one starting September 21.  So please make plans now to attend.

                                                                <<09Assemblies.doc>>
The Assemblies are required by law and are held to:

    1. identify the kind of projects that are needed in communities
    2. make recommendations to the Legislature, Governor and Natural Resources Commission for the improvement of REAP policies, programs and funding
    3. elect five persons to attend the REAP Congress in Des Moines 2010

In support of these assemblies all member groups of the REAP Alliance are encouraged to attend a meeting when held in your region.  Also, we ask that you contact your legislator and encourage them to attend so that they might become even more familiar with the REAP program and what it does for Iowa and its citizens.  The legislators are also encouraged to speak for a few minutes to the group regarding the programs in their district. The official invitation will be sent to them three weeks before the meeting in their region and then a follow up invitation will be sent from the Alliance a week after.

In addition to the assembly meetings we would like to encourage you to read the attached e-mail regarding I WiLL (Iowa’s Water and Land Legacy).

                                        <<IWiLLInvite.doc>>
I WiLL meetings will be held an hour before the REAP Assembly meeting to inform you about the proposed Natural Resource and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund which will be on the ballot November 2, 2010.  This is very important to conservation as it helps to establish a trust fund that will reinforce and protect REAP.

09Assemblies.doc
IWiLLInvite.doc