News from Plains Justice

Kelly Fuller

Apr 8, 2009, 6:40:29 PM4/8/09
to plains-just...@googlegroups.com

News from Plains Justice, 4/8/09

Wanted to get this to you right away instead of waiting for our next newsletter.

The Impact of Western Coal Strip Mining — A Picture Tells a Thousand Words

Last fall, Carrie La Seur, Founder and President of Plains Justice, flew above the Powder River Basin coal formation in northeast Wyoming in a small plane, snapping photos of the large-scale damage done by coal strip mining. One of her photos (we don’t know which one!) will be featured on the April 10 broadcast of NOW on PBS TV. Check the PBS website to verify the date and time for the PBS station nearest you. http://www.pbs.org/now/  Click the yellow “Next week on NOW” button to see a trailer for the program called, “Is there such a thing as clean coal?”

Making the North Dakota Coal Industry Play by the Rules

Plains Justice has been working with allies in North Dakota to make the coal industry follow the law and not get exemptions or other special treatment. We got good news recently. Great Northern Power Development withdrew its application for a new coal mine near South Heart, North Dakota – a mere half hour’s drive from Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Great Northern said it changed its plans because of a legal complaint filed at the North Dakota Public Service Commission by Plains Justice on behalf of Dakota Resource Council and local landowners. The complaint challenges the construction of a new coal preparation plant whose developers are attempting to sidestep the laws that regulate the coal industry. Now that the mine application has been withdrawn, an updated complaint has been filed.

This Twin Cities Indymedia article gives good background about the ongoing fight to get the coal industry to play by the rules in North Dakota – and why people living in other states should care.

 http://twincities.indymedia.org/2009/mar/north-dakota-coal-dealt-setback

Kelly Fuller

Communications Director

Plains Justice

P.O. Box 251

Vermillion, SD  57069

(605) 659-0298

kfu...@plainsjustice.org

Plains Justice serves northern plains communities from offices in Cedar Rapids, IA and Vermillion, SD.