Ketotarian

Sheryl C.S. Johnson

Oct 6, 2022, 10:51:46 AM10/6/22
to PKD
I've been in Ketosis for a while now because I'm intrigued with the new studies showing the cysts shrinking when they are starved of carbs. I actually do feel much better. It is tricky to stay away from meat and get enough calories from wfpb pkdiet friendly foods. It's definitely a work in progress.

I started on July 22nd. I've lost 19 lbs, but haven't been paying much attention to that because I'm more focused on the diet aspects. It's easy to avoid carbs because I just think about how they feed the cysts and how much I dislike having this disease.

I will keep you posted. My GFR has been in steady decline for three years. My heart problems have been problematic, increasing in intensity in that time. Now my blood pressure is down. My heart is behaving. I have more energy. I don't feel ill all the time. I'm not having headaches (those were from my electrolyte balance being messed up from my kidneys.)

I eat a lot of avocados, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and coconut milk.

In full disclosure, I am leaning on lean meat products and eggs. I don't like to. I miss my oats and other good grains. I miss my fruit. I used to eat tons of fruit. Before ketosis chicken, fish, and even eggs would make me feel ill. I've always leaned vegan.

There are different ways to get into ketosis. There is the controlled carb method (having between 20-50 carbs a day—what I'm doing), the restricted calorie method (you can calculate the calories needed to make you burn fat in online calculators), and the intermittent fasting method.

I am worried because, despite the uplift in energy, strength, and heart function, I'm getting a lot of un-earned bruises. I'm not on any medications. So I am toying with the idea of changing my ketosis method for a week so I can round out my nutrition.

I am not on BHB supplement but I do use keto test strips, which show my ketosis in the trace amounts, so not much, but there.

I'm not a shopper and am annoyed at the clothing I'm going to have to replace. But I was nice and chubby for 5'7" 190lbs. Now I'm 171. I should land at 140-150 and then I will have to figure out how to stay in ketosis without weight loss.

I wish I could say I was gangbusters awesome at whole food plant based keto. But I've seen enough improvement as I flounder about getting better and better at good, safe pkd/pld low carb meals. I am definitely going to stick to this ketosis stuff. I see the nephrologist in a few weeks and I will let you know if I have any progress on my GFR. I know you guys will ask about declining GFR numbers so I will take a look at that...just a sec.

GFR Decline:
April 2022=60
Sep 2021=67
Aug 2020=70
Nov 2019=84

April was not my normal appointment. Get this. My kidneys had become so naughty,  that, despite having potassium citrate most weeks in food and supplement form, I had zero potassium in body and ended up in the emergency room with intermittent a-fib. (potassium is necessary for a stable heartbeat). Apparently, it's weird for a pkd person to be low on potassium, let alone have zero.

Michael showed me the pkd keto study summer and I was so excited that I just jumped right on that path.

This is the video Michael shared with me. What do you think?

anthony...@fastmail.co.uk

Oct 6, 2022, 11:17:05 AM10/6/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
There is a Facebook link to the Lab.
Here is a screen shot:

image1.png

I am at the end of my purchased BHB drink powder. I can report no ill effects at all. I have started to lose tummy fat. I am not dieting. My put-aside too-small Gap trousers have begun to fit again.

I will not know the effects on my old kidneys, if any, until an ultrasound. Which is not due until next year. However, I intend to repurchase and carry on in the name of experimentation!

All the best Michael

Cavalier de l'iPad:
 “ Every moment happens twice : Inside and Outside ..and they are two different histories ..!
Carpe diem🌀

Sheryl C.S. Johnson

Oct 6, 2022, 11:43:11 AM10/6/22
to PKD
I'm sure you told me but I'd love to know the BHB powder brand you use. I worry because my keto test strips only show trace ketosis, even though I'm usually between 20-35 carbs a day. But I know I'm in ketosis as I watch the weight diminish. I know there are some ingredients to avoid in bhb supplements. I should study that. I know that weibs has the potassium balance bhb supplement too.

anthony...@fastmail.co.uk

Oct 6, 2022, 12:28:09 PM10/6/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
HSN
KETO BHB (CÉTONES EXOGÈNES) 500g ORANGE ROUGE