Ube

Diane

Jan 30, 2017, 7:25:24 PM1/30/17
to PKDiet Google Group
I have written a new page on ube. Ube is a Filipino deep purple yam and it can grow on a vine.

Ube

Enjoy Ube

Dioscorea alata
Halayang Ube

A tan or brown skinned yam variety is called Ube. Once cooked it turns a deep purple. Filipinos love purple desserts. They are said to be associated with prosperity, money, wealth, and good fortune. Ube ice cream is a special treat for my great grand aunties. Ube yam looks a lot like taro root but they are a climbing vine that creates roots which are purple and highly nutritious. They grow in the orient and are very popular in the Philippines and would grow anywhere with a moderate climate.

Ube can be made into a purple dessert that Filipinos love. The color purple is on the 100 peso bill; it is a sign of prosperity. Halayang Ube [ooh-beh] is a purple yam. Filipinos mainly know ube as halayang ube or purple yam jam made by peeling the root, boiling it and mashing it, a laborious process. It is most often reserved for special occasions such as holidays and birthdays. However, do not make the mistake of bringing home taro root or Okinawan sweet potato. Ube has a unique flavor all its own. Its taste is said to be a cross between hazelnut, chocolate, vanilla. It can grow on a vine or there is also an knobby underground variety.

From the pulldown menu below, read about how ube can help intestinal disease, allergies, lower blood pressure, protects the liver and more.

↑ iron
↑ antioxidant proteins
↑ protects liver
↑ vitamin C
↑ detoxing agent
↑ fiber
↓ blood pressure
↓ diabetes risk

Many medical articles follow this.
I love ube. It is useful for IBS, for allergies, for many things.

~Diane

Diane

Feb 1, 2017, 12:48:56 PM2/1/17
to PKDiet Bridge
Interested in a $100 gold Crystal champagne ube doughnut?
Chef Bjorn DelaCruz has made one. He has sold these at $1000 a dozen.

~Diane

louise

Feb 2, 2017, 5:17:29 PM2/2/17
to PKD
Diane,

wow there are so many tropical fruits i have never heard of ! however, im wondering, since ube is a kind of yam, is it still to be enjoyed as white yam should be avoided, you said you got liver pains with yam i believe..

can you advise me on further tropical foods.. which of these are ok with PKD and which should be avoided :

Ackee
Breadfruit
Breadnuts
Cassava
Dasheen
Tania
Eddoes
white Yam - i think to avoid ?
Red bananas
Noonie fruit - i think to avoid  ? as you said you had problems with the juice
Papaya - i would have thought this is to be enjoyed as it has very beneficial properties..
Passion fruit
pineapple
pomegranate
sour sop
starfruit - i think is to be avoided ?

thank you in advance..

Louise

PKDiane

Feb 2, 2017, 6:03:59 PM2/2/17
to PKDiet Bridge
Louise
So nice to hear from you. I will answer you shortly. I have to look up the names of these fruits. Certain ones are here but known by a different name.  Will get back shortly.

Noonie avoid
starfruit avoid
sour sop avoid
pomegranate avoid

I will explain more in the next email.

Papaya is absolutely wonderful for PKD.

~Diane

On Feb 2, 2017, at 12:17 PM, louise <marielo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Diane,

wow there are so many tropical fruits i have never heard of ! however, im wondering, since ube is a kind of yam, is it still to be enjoyed as white yam should be avoided, you said you got liver pains with yam i believe..

can you advise me on further tropical foods.. which of these are ok with PKD and which should be avoided :

Ackee
Breadfruit
Breadnuts
Cassava
Dasheen taro

PKDiane

Feb 3, 2017, 3:32:26 PM2/3/17
to PKDiet Bridge
Louise here are the pages:

 👎 Ackee- Mountain Apple- Sapindaceae : Avoid
đź‘Ž Lychee :Avoid
👎 Noni  : Avoid
đź‘Ž Pomegranate: Avoid with PLD
đź‘Ž Starfruit: Avoid
👎 Soursop  Graviola: Avoid
👎 Tania leaves, Lobelia leaves  :Avoid

👍 Breadfruit Artocarpus altilis :Enjoy
đź‘Ť Breadnuts Ramon Seed :Enjoy
đź‘Ť Lanzones :Enjoy
 👍 Cassava Yuca tapioca:  Enjoy
 👍 Dasheen Taro Eddoes: Enjoy
👍 Papaya  :: Enjoy
đź‘Ť Passion fruit: Enjoy
đź‘Ť Pineapple : Enjoy
đź‘Ť Red Banana: Enjoy
đź‘Ť Tania root sometimes called Eddoes root: Enjoy
👍 White Yam: Enjoy  It is really a sweet potato.

đź‘Ž Avoid wild yams

PKDiane

Feb 3, 2017, 5:14:46 PM2/3/17
to PKDiet Bridge
Wild yam is to be avoided. White yam is really a sweet potato and rich in nutrients. Ube is a purple yam from the Philippines it too is rich in nutrients. Ube and white yams cause me no pains. Eating or juicing the leaves is to be avoided. I wrote some pages on this. See below.

I have just discovered that the British Medical Journal researchers have finally discovered why so many children were dying from eating lychee fruit. This is grown here in Hawaii and eaten regularly. Lychee cannot be eaten on an empty stomach especially if the person is malnourished.

~Diane

PKDiane

Feb 3, 2017, 10:32:23 PM2/3/17
to PKDiet Bridge
I have written a new page on

Mbro ukland

Feb 3, 2017, 11:12:11 PM2/3/17
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
Ta!

Cavalier de l'iPad:
Never waste ones time explaining who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you!
No one is in charge!
Carpe diem🌀

Cavalier de l'iPad:
Actually if you just change the press you alter the political landscape , then you have to decide what it is you really think , hard isn't it ! ?
M . Anthony 2017
Carpe diem🌀

louise

Feb 4, 2017, 12:31:02 PM2/4/17
to PKD
Oh Diane,

you are so super thank you so much for posting all this information..aha so its wild yam that we should avoid.. is the wild yam smaller than regular white yam ?

Louise

Diane

Feb 4, 2017, 5:23:37 PM2/4/17
to PKDiet Bridge
WILD YAM
I personally have never picked wild yam (Dioscorea villosa).

I know the cream did cause me problems.

~Diane

louise

Feb 4, 2017, 6:30:26 PM2/4/17
to PKD
Diane,

gosh what super pages you have created. That is so interesting that there could be  kidney shut down from too many oxalates (contained in starfruit) resulting in irreversible kidney failure.

i dont like foods with oxalates somehow, i dont like mangold or spinach or lambsquarters as the high oxalates taste unappleaning to me.

Louise

Diane

Feb 4, 2017, 9:25:35 PM2/4/17
to PKDiet Bridge
This is wonderful Louise that you are not attracted to high oxalate foods. It is really true I have a PKD friend who had traveled to Asia and ate starfruit. Shortly afterward he was awaiting a transplant because his kidney functioning dropped so low.

I too have learned so much from you. About inflammation and what foods cause it: nightshade plants~potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers. And from Vicki, I learned about lectins causing inflammation. And from many more of you your questions make it so I learn so much.

Thank you.

~Diane

Diane

Feb 5, 2017, 2:17:53 AM2/5/17