Giving birth

sourav...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 9:21:09 AM3/17/22
to PKD
Hello everyone,

Although I tried to search for a discussion on this topic but could not find any and thought of posting it myself.

I am a PKD patient with normal kidney functions. It may sound a bit weird but recently when I had been to a nephrologist and when he asked me if I have any kids, I told him I dont plan to have any as I might pass this condition to them and I dont want them to go through these challenges. On this, he very briefly suggested me to explore on gene testing. My limited understanding tells me that gene testing is for finding out the nature of gene and gene therapy maybe is to prevent the cysts to further grow.

I wanted to check (and I know it is weird to ask this) if there is a way to prevent the transmission of affected gene to the kids while giving birth?

Thanks,
Sourav

Diane Smith

Mar 17, 2022, 3:11:34 PM3/17/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
I have had gene testing I am PKD 1 allele, the more aggressive form. I have never had children. As far as I know any PKD patient should not have children. My sister aunts & uncles, mother & father all had children and the PKD worsened.

Sent from my awesome Blue iPhone 13

~Diane

On Mar 17, 2022, at 3:21 AM, sourav...@gmail.com <sourav...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Diane Smith

Mar 17, 2022, 3:30:36 PM3/17/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
There is something called “PKD births”

 Some are trying this on our website. It is before you get pregnant. Ask your doctor about this

On Mar 17, 2022, at 9:13 AM, 'Diane Smith' via PKD <pkd...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I have had gene testing I am PKD 1 allele, the more aggressive form. I have never had children. As far as I know any PKD patient should not have children. My sister aunts & uncles, mother & father all had children and the PKD worsened.

Diane Smith

Mar 17, 2022, 3:36:18 PM3/17/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
My female relatives all went to dialysis at the third birth. Their kidney functioning had decreased dangerously low by then.

To prevent your own cysts from further growing drink lots of water. As far as I know, this doesn’t help the baby

Sent from my awesome Blue iPhone 13

~Diane

On Mar 17, 2022, at 9:13 AM, 'Diane Smith' via PKD <pkd...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I have had gene testing I am PKD 1 allele, the more aggressive form. I have never had children. As far as I know any PKD patient should not have children. My sister aunts & uncles, mother & father all had children and the PKD worsened.

j bayne

Mar 18, 2022, 5:17:43 AM3/18/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
Do you use telegram, twitter........?

sourav...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 8:24:10 AM3/18/22
to PKD
@ Diane.....did you mean that PKD worsens on having children or that the children who have PKD1 gene parents have more severe PKD?

sourav...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 9:23:08 AM3/18/22
to PKD
@ Diane.....If I am not wrong, the suggestion of eating folate for reducing the risk of passing the gene (mentioned in PKD Birth link) is in the context of a female having PKD only and not if the male partner is only having PKD. Am I right?

sourav...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 9:34:33 AM3/18/22
to PKD
If you are asking me, yes I do use telegram / twitter.

Diane Smith

Mar 18, 2022, 2:43:06 PM3/18/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
Yes, jbayne

Sent from my awesome Blue iPhone 13

~Diane

Diane Smith

Mar 18, 2022, 2:45:16 PM3/18/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
 I do not use twitter, or telegram ,jbayne

Sent from my awesome Blue iPhone 13

~Diane

Diane Smith

Mar 18, 2022, 2:50:19 PM3/18/22
to pkd...@googlegroups.com
No souvre
I mean the female with PKD gets worse not the children.

There were twins with PKD born once. The one twin had it ok. The second twin had it really bad and died of PKD complications.

Sent from my awesome Blue iPhone 13

~Diane

Kunal Mankodiya

May 7, 2022, 3:13:04 PM5/7/22
to PKD
Sourav,

In my case, I found out about PKD after I had two children. Glad that you are already thinking about alternatives.

I am not very much familiar with Gene Testing. However,  I found a good resource on Genetic Counselling for patients with PKD:

Hope this helps - good luck,
-Kunal (Male, 40y, Living with PKD)