Maximum amount of devices?

Niels Veerman

Oct 13, 2021, 7:54:32 AM10/13/21
to PiWall Users
Heyo and good day to whoever is reading this. I am looking around for a company i work for to use this solution to create a big video wall for a fair. I haven't been able to find the maximum amount of connected devices. I am looking to get a 1 high 20 wide video wall and was wondering if this is possible using PiWall. If it is, then i'd also like to know if it's possible to create a 4x20 video wall using 80 full-hd tv's.

If you're still reading, you're amazing. Thanks for your time

dasl

Oct 13, 2021, 10:16:59 PM10/13/21
to PiWall Users
It should be possible. The piwall broadcasting mechanism uses UDP multicast, which scales with your network setup. The router / switch is responsible for copying packets and sending them to all subscribers to the multicast group. You may want to make sure all raspberry pi's have the same number of "hops" through however many network switches you have connecting everything to make it more likely that packets will be sent and received at the same time by all TVs.

Another thing to keep in mind is the resolution of the video you will be playing. For hardware decoding capability, the raspberry pi 4 has:
H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)

The piwall requires you to use H264 encoded video, so you will be limited to 1080p video resolution or lower.