Up to date, step by step PIWall installation and configuration guide.

crtdream

Nov 13, 2021, 4:55:23 PM11/13/21
to PiWall Users
Hi folks, I recently documented my configuration and deployment of PiWall with the hope that it may solve an issue that anyone might be having in this foul year of our Lord 2021. Complete with screenshots and test/demo.

Thanks!

Dave Elfving

Nov 14, 2021, 3:41:59 PM11/14/21
to PiWall Users
Woah! Thanks much for this, and for the heads up about Buster.

I've been able to get four screens running (though not rad CRT screens like yours) with a switch. Do you think it'd be possible over static wifi? I'm actively researching how to set up an ad hoc network. It'd be awesome to ditch the switch and ethernet cables, you know?

dasl

Nov 14, 2021, 10:26:37 PM11/14/21
to PiWall Users
the piwall relies on multicast networking. Multicast doesn't perform well over wifi. So unfortunately you will need to use ethernet cables. See: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mcbride-mboned-wifi-mcast-problem-statement-01.html

DCE

Nov 15, 2021, 9:20:15 PM11/15/21
to PiWall Users
Thanks for the response, and the accompanying article. I guess it's very much an edge case use of WiFi. I'll muddle through with the wires.