Extract parameters from poly-line

Yuto Ushiki

Jun 10, 2024, 1:49:07 AMJun 10
to PIVlab
Hi,

I am trying to observe cell movements using PIVlab3.01.
I would like to analyze the movements of cells by using “Extract parameters from poly-line” in “Extractions”.
What kind of results can I get with “Extract parameters from poly-line”?
For example, if I select “Circle” in “Extract parameters from poly-line” and “Magnitude”, what part of the circle “Magnitude” will be obtained? Is it inside the circle? Or on the circumference of the circle?

Regards
Yuto

thielickeoptolution

Jun 10, 2024, 6:41:29 AMJun 10
to PIVlab
Hi,
Extract parameters from poly-line will only report results on the line / circle /rectangle.
Extract parameters from area will report results that are inside the circle / rectangle.
Magnitude in PIVlab is defined as the velocity magnitude (vector sum of the velocity in x and the velocity in y).

Yuto Ushiki

Jun 12, 2024, 10:37:54 PMJun 12
to PIVlab
I appreciate your fast response!
But I have one more question. What does the parameter "Vector direction" mean? I assume it means angle, because it is expressed in units of "degrees".

2024年6月10日月曜日 19:41:29 UTC+9 thielickeoptolution:

William Thielicke (Shrediquette)

Jun 13, 2024, 12:33:55 AMJun 13
to PIVlab
Yes, it means the angle with respect to the horizontal. Is "vector direction" a confusing name? Should I rename this?

Yuto Ushiki

Jun 13, 2024, 4:49:40 AMJun 13
to PIVlab
Thanks!

The explanation was easy to understand and very helpful.
However, there is still something I don't understand when using PIVlab.
What does the parameter "Tangent velocity" mean? How is it calculated?
2024年6月13日木曜日 13:33:55 UTC+9 William Thielicke (Shrediquette):