Vortex Locator's Unit

ali amiri

Jun 17, 2024, 12:26:46 PMJun 17
to PIVlab
Hello,
First of all, I would like to thank you for developing this useful module in Matlab!

What is the Vortex-Locator unit in the software? It is written [1] but it does not make sense to me if it is showing the strength of vortexes. In the fundamental fluid mechanics, the vortex strength unit is (m*m/s)!

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards,
Ali Aimiri

William Thielicke (Shrediquette)

Jun 19, 2024, 3:59:27 AMJun 19
to PIVlab
Hi, the vortex locator can be used to show the presence of vortices, not the strength (use e.g. vorticity for that, or calculate the area integral of vorticity to get circulation). The vortex locator is a normalized discriminant of complex eigenvalues (DCEV), the values range from 0 (no vortex) to 255 (vortex).