Incremental analysis question

Jeff Gentry

Sep 10, 2021, 6:19:03 PM9/10/21
to PIT Users
I have a project using pitest and we make use of the incremental analysis feature. It is incredibly handy in reducing the run time.

One thing I've never understood though is at least in our project it'll still run some things even if nothing at all has changed. For our project that space is getting up there in runtime so I wanted to see if I could figure out what about our code/tests was leading to that. I'm not really sure where to start.

My first question would be is this a known situation? If so, what circumstances tend to lead to things not getting cached via the history file? Are there patterns I could look for?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Gentry

Sep 15, 2021, 6:25:12 PM9/15/21
to PIT Users
I believe I have figured out the problem. Spent some quality time with a debugger on the plugin. That's the coverage calculation running. This led me down a path that drew my attetion to the SCM option. On paper that'd work great for us, in our case we have one module that's way too large and thus in practice we'll rarely manage to skip that coverage check. That's on us though, provides incentive to split that module apart.

Henry Coles

Sep 16, 2021, 5:32:19 AM9/16/21
to pitu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Sorry I missed your initial post. Yes, the coverage calculation has to always be run at the start of incremental analysis. The coverage data is one of its inputs.

For larger codebases SCM integration is the way to go. If you're using git or junit5 you might be interested in the cdg beta programme

This offers faster analysis, much better git support, and integration with Github, Gitlab and Bitbucket.

Henry