Capnproto support

Kenneth Adam Miller

Mar 23, 2015, 3:18:15 PM3/23/15
to pi...@googlegroups.com
Has anybody seen capnproto? It seems like a great successor to protobuf. It's supposed to be faster and have a lot of new features. It's nice to have your data types specified in piqi files because you can compile them down to protobuf, which I suppose is the point of the piq data specification language.

Is there any interest in supporting it?

Anton Lavrik

Mar 24, 2015, 9:00:29 AM3/24/15
to pi...@googlegroups.com
I don't think of capnproto as a protobuf successor. More looks like an experimental project with a really broad scope (funky RPC system, plans for ORM and so on). It has some nice ideas. For example, it offers a better optimized serialization scheme. But you need to be in C++ to utilize its full potential.

For most practical serialization needs Protobuf is good enough and it is conceptually simpler.

I don't have plans for supporting capnproto at the moment. However there shouldn't be a problem with mapping capnproto definitions to Piqi and adding support for capnproto format. Piqi is extensible enough and should be able to accommodate that. It could be a fun project. Why not?

If somebody is willing to play with this idea, I'd suggest to start by adding capnproto as one of the serialization formats for 'piqi convert' and multi-format serialization (along with XML and JSON). Plus, of course you need to implement converters between .piqi and .capnp schema languages.

Anton