New Pino updates for 2021

Head Honcho

Jul 27, 2020, 12:58:46 PM7/27/20
to PinoTalk
Stumbled across Hase's promotional video for the 2021 Pino. Looks like some interesting updates.

The changes
-the overall wheelbase is adjustable, making is possible to reduce the overall length for storage and for riding with one person, particularly as a cargo bike

- the stoker position adjusts even smaller, negating the need for a child crankset for diminutive stoker's.

- both front and rear bottom brackets are a bit lower, easing foot placement on the ground when stopped. (I've been contemplating the use of a dropper seatpost to address this issue)

-new design for the Captain's handlebars where they attach and adjust at the frame. Looks pretty slick.(we have experienced the Captain's bars loosening occasionally and perhaps the new design is an improvement there.)

-new kickstand design

Likely more that I missed.

The changes aren't exactly going to make us rush out and order a new Pino. Hope to make current steed last until we're ready for a STEPS Pino. I'm of the opinion that effort and sweat are part and partial of the recreational cycling experience so I don't want to embrace motorized assistance until it's absolutely necessary. However, everyone's circumstances are different and to each their own choice.

Iain Mackay

Jul 29, 2020, 12:11:28 PM7/29/20
to PinoTalk
Thanks for the alert about the Pino 2021.  We looked at the video and, even though we've had our current Pino STEPS for only just over 2 years, we are very interested in the new model's features that allow compacting, as opposed to splitting, for transport.  Despite having loaded the current model onto our rear carrier a number of times, the faff factor is sufficient of a disincentive to make us avoid it for all but long journeys - it takes me about half an hour, longer if I forget the sequence, to dismantle/rebuild.  So the option of compressing the machine and not having to disconnect the drive train is, at first sight, really attractive.  We've already been in touch with JD Tandems with a view to booking a test ride - but not before October, when they expect to get the first one in.

So if you know of anyone out there that might be interested in acquiring a carefully maintained Pino STEPS some time before next year, please put them in touch.  So long as they don't mind waiting, as we're definitely not parting with ours until a replacement is here!

Head Honcho

Jul 29, 2020, 12:44:22 PM7/29/20
to PinoTalk
The ability to reduce the overall wheelbase is an intriguing feature, both for transport and storage.  We purchased our first Pino from Larry at Mount Airy in late 2013 and we recently purchased a barely used 2017 Pino (which also originated from Mt Airy Cycles).   After riding a later style Pino with the no-tools required boom and timing chain adjustment,  I had been on the lookout for a later model with that feature.  The boom adjustment and timing chain adjustment on the older Pino is just fiddly enough to deter us from taking family and friends along on journeys as guest stokers.  The no-tool boom adjustment means we can quickly  accommodate different passengers and reduce the overall length for transport so the Pino is not wider than than our car's mirrors.  We've never been cited for a wide load,  but it does make me a bit nervous in tight spots and we can't count on other drivers paying attention.

We enjoyed a pleasant, if somewhat warm/hot  60ish mile loop this past weekend.  Managed to ride in three states,  take a ferry ride and visit two national parks in a single day.   Not surprisingly,  one young child exclaimed as we rode by him on the Pino. "I want a bike like that one."

Iain Mackay

Jul 29, 2020, 1:40:24 PM7/29/20
to PinoTalk
I should perhaps have pointed out, in view of the international nature of this forum, that we and our Pino are in the UK, which is where we'd intend to look for a buyer as the option of international delivery would be unlikely to be tempting.