Factory installed 52 T front chainring seems too big to me.

Veerle De Keersmaeker

Feb 23, 2018, 3:56:34 PM2/23/18
to PinoTalk
Hi, I noticed that during our first ride after the winter stop we shifted our Rohloff  up to  8th  gear on flat road and pedal with much effort. We were both tired after a 2 hr drive. I wondered  if this is the result of months of less activity?
It certainly is. But then I remembered the nice chat with the Rohloff dealer a month ago. He told me that the best gear we should shift is 10th gear. 10th gear is the direct drive (1/1) and on flat road the best. Impossible for us to pedal for longer time!  A few days after our ride I counted the number of teeth on the primary chain rings : 52 - 16 . I then had a closer look to the manual and soon made up my mind and go for replacement of the front 52 T with a 44 T .  The rear 16 T alternative is 17 T , so this is not an option. But before buying a 44 Surly Stainless Steel ring  I would like to know if anyone experienced a similar problem and what solution was found? Kind greetings, Frank.

Bob Bending

Feb 23, 2018, 5:50:10 PM2/23/18
to PinoTalk
I think direct drive is 11. The hardest gear (the one with least efficiency) is 7th. I don't have a Rohloff on our Pino, but I have two solos with them and one is a 44T-15T (road use) the other 38T-15T (off road use) so I think 52-16 is quite high, especially if you are tackling any hills.

larry black

Feb 23, 2018, 6:01:56 PM2/23/18
to pino...@googlegroups.com
We're afraid of internals because of the power robbing - a personal thing of course
When we exert a 100km of pedaling and look up at the kilometer post, we want to see something in the high 90's not 80's

Larry and Linda Black
Pino Ti
Pino STEPS
Circe Morpheus
Pino in pieces

You are subscribed to the "PinoTalk" discussion group.
If you have joined recently other members would be pleased to see a short message introducing you.

Larry Black
Mt Airy Bicycle
College Park Bicycle
Maryland, USA
www.bike123.com
la...@bike123.com

Veerle De Keersmaeker

Feb 24, 2018, 3:20:11 AM2/24/18
to PinoTalk
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed you are right. 11th is the direct. So: if 38 - 15 is ok for off-road use on a MTB then 40- 16 could be a good try, taking in account that ascending hills is a challenge with our poor power output. Does someone has ever installed Surly chain rings? I installed one on a regular tandem because the aluminium ring was prone to deformation and loss of teeth. That problem was solved with the Surly.

Philip Lowe

Feb 24, 2018, 3:24:25 AM2/24/18
to pino...@googlegroups.com
The direct 1:1 ratio is gear 11. The warranty covered minimum input ratio for riders over 100 kg, and tandems, is 2.5, achieved for example with 16:40. For solo and less than 100 kg it is 1.9.

That said, Sue and I use 16:38 as the originally supplied 42 tooth chainring was just too high. But note that Sue has taller gearing and shorter cranks than me which reduces her input torque, I’m quite light at 62 kg so cannot apply much pressure on the captain’s cranks, and when it comes to steep hills we spin hard up to 90-100 rpm and put the front hub motor on full. The bottom line is that we would be very unlikely to exceed the input torque limit and shear the limit pins inside the hub. To date we’ve not had any issues in 3000 km of ownership.

Sent from my iPad

On 23 Feb 2018, at 20:56, Veerle De Keersmaeker <veerle.dek...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Philip Lowe

Feb 24, 2018, 3:28:33 AM2/24/18
to pino...@googlegroups.com
Regarding Surly rings, yes, they are very nice. Stainless steel and rather shiny bling. Not got them on the Pino (use Thorn rings on that) but have Surly rings on the Patria Terra and the ICE Sprint.

Sent from my iPad

Bob Bending

Bob Bending

Feb 24, 2018, 5:00:13 AM2/24/18
to PinoTalk
The thing is, it's not difficult to swap out the front ring and chain  – 10 minute job, which is what I used to do before I got the second Rohloff. I had a couple of front rings – 38T and 44T and corresponding chains and, if I was riding a really hilly area, could put the smaller chain ring on the front to lower the whole range. If it's a hilly area, you are either climbing or coasting fast downhill most of the time and if you are coasting you don't need the bigger ring anyway. A higher range with a bigger front ring is more necessary on the flat where one doesn't have the assistance of gravity.

Veerle De Keersmaeker

Aug 31, 2018, 6:02:31 AM8/31/18
to PinoTalk
It's been a while ago that I installed the 42 T Surly Stainless Steel front ring and our cycling on the Pino is much better. We can drive in 11 and 12 Rohloff gear on flat easily. I painted the ring black, so no bling bling. While tensioning the chain I removed both the M5 grub screws on either side of the tensioners and replaced them with "normal" M5 x 40 Allen screws. Now I can use a common nr 4  Allen key. The new screws are sticking out in front direction but that may not cause problems. The thiny Allen key and the original grub screws in the bin. Kind greetings, Frank.