Routine Maintenance, New Bottom Bracket, Persistent creak, Burlington to Montreal

head honcho

Aug 8, 2018, 9:25:43 AM8/8/18
to PinoTalk
In preparation for our ride from Burlington, Vermont to Montreal I undertook some much needed maintenance.  Replaced the drive chain and rear gear cluster and discovered the middle 38 tooth front chainring was in sad condition.  I couldn't find a replacement 38t ring locally (checked 5 shops)  so I reluctantly cannibalized another bike for a 36 tooth Sugino pinned and ramped chainring.   The bottom bracket had started making some clicking noises so I replaced it with a new old stock Shimano UN-73 which I happened to have on-hand in the right size.  Amazingly,  my hoarding actually produced something useful that I was able to find when it was needed!

With the new parts installed everything seemed to work fine. The change from 38 to 36 teeth on the middle ring didn't  seem to make a big difference.  I didn't adjust the front derailleur at all but shifting to the big ring (48t) seems to take a bit more effort but that's about it.  The bottom bracket clicking noise was gone and we were ready to ride!

Off to Burlington to make our way to Montreal.  We weren't camping and a family member was meeting us at the hotel so our load was minimal.    A persistent creaking noise seemed to be emanating from under the stoker's seat.  The creaking is only present with both riders on board and pedaling.  .  A cursory inspection and check of the coupling revealed nothing out of the ordinary.  I confirmed the tightness of the fasteners.   I guess I'm going to take it all apart, inspect and reassemble.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the welds are intact as cracked frames have not been uncommon on Pinos.  Any other things to consider in searching for and quelling the creakiness?

At a bit over 100 miles, the Burlington to Montreal ride is a pleasant journey.  It was our first time crossing a national border on bike but I hope it's not the last..  We stayed at Auberge Harris in St. Jean sur Richelieu and found it to be a nice hotel very accommodating of cyclists. At 70 miles from Burlington, it was a bit longer than we generally travel in a day but being summertime and gentle terrain it was not difficult.  It made the next day's ride into Montreal short and gave us more time to look around.  St. Jean sur Richelieu has a nice old city area with many restaurants about a mile away from the hotel.  We enjoyed a pleasant meal at Restaurant Le Samuel.  Since we were riding a Hase (rabbit in German),  I had to partake of the lapin avec pommes de terre et asperge..

Cycle happy & safe!

Veerle De Keersmaeker

Nov 28, 2018, 4:55:38 AM11/28/18
to PinoTalk
I am keen to have any news about the cracking noise. A hase is german for hare ( is this correct spelling?) Delicious too but I don't know if there are hares in Canada.

Bob Bending

Nov 28, 2018, 5:09:54 AM11/28/18
to PinoTalk
Hase issued a reinforcement bracket for the join under the seat. We received one through our dealer JD Tandems, I fitted it.  If you don't have one and your Pino is one that splits, it could be worth adding.. doesn't weigh much and adds piece of mind.