Carrying spare battery on Pino Steps

David Hunter

Jul 30, 2020, 12:14:46 PM7/30/20
to PinoTalk
Has anyone got a good system for carrying a spare battery on the Pino Steps - preferably available in the UK?

We tend to carry a spare as range is so exquisitely sensitive to climbing - we can do 100km with only 500m of climbing, but if it's 750m climbing in 35km that's a battery gone!  Must be to do our power to weight ratio I guess :-0

Currently I carry a spare battery in a Topeak bag on top of the rack, but it is high up to site 2.4kg.  I am looking for a solution which stores the battery in a secure way (they are valuable) beneath the frame under the stoker perhaps.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Phil

Jul 30, 2020, 3:01:52 PM7/30/20
to PinoTalk
You may be able to get sufficient bits and pieces to build a suitable TerraCycle battery carrier from Icletta...

Combined this with the STEPS frame battery mount, complete with lock...

Not too cheap, but then neither is a second battery.

Now if you were really clever you could add a 4 gang changeover switch, wire both carriers to the main loom and then be able to swap from one battery to the other without having to demount either.

Bob Bending

Jul 30, 2020, 5:17:04 PM7/30/20
to PinoTalk
You could always buy a second mounting bracket to carry the spare on. Doesn't need to be wired in, but that should hold it securely.

David Hunter

Jul 31, 2020, 7:42:55 AM7/31/20
to PinoTalk
Thanks Bob, but not sure how to affix the bracket to the frame as it seems to need to have holes in the frame - unless I'm missing something.

Chris Rust

Jul 31, 2020, 8:03:31 AM7/31/20
to pino...@googlegroups.com
That's why Phil recommended that Terracycle battery holder. It will carry the Shimano Battery mount.
Chris

You are subscribed to the "PinoTalk" discussion group.
If you have joined recently other members would be pleased to see a short message introducing you.

David Hunter

Aug 1, 2020, 3:31:45 AM8/1/20
to PinoTalk
Ah - so I just need 2 of the Terracycles, one for each individual end of the battery holders, so should only cost €300 with shipping.  Sadly don't have the skills in metalwork to make my own holder for the 2 separate ends to attach to one Terracycle.

I did see somewhere a sort of plastic open weave tube that could be cable tied to the front stand rack that the battery could slip into, but couldn't understand the German website and hoped someone here had found a UK equivalent.

Thanks

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 5:14:46 PM UTC+1, David Hunter wrote:
Has anyone got a good system for carrying a spare battery on the Pino Steps - preferably available in the UK?

We tend to carry a spare as range is so exquisitely sensitive to climbing - we can do 100km with only 500m of climbing, but if it's 750m climbing in 35km that's a battery gone!  Must be to do our power to weight ratio I guess :-0

Currently I carry a spare battery in a Topeak bag on top of the rack, but it is high up to site 2.4kg.  I am looking for a solution which stores the battery in a secure way (they are valuable) beneath the frame under the stoker perhaps.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

You are subscribed to the "PinoTalk" discussion group.
If you have joined recently other members would be pleased to see a short message introducing you.

Philip Lowe

Aug 1, 2020, 7:25:13 AM8/1/20
to PinoTalk
Hi David,

You could try contacting ICE at https://www.icetrikes.co/contact, and ask for the single piece of aluminium bar that spans between the two ends of the STEPS battery mount and bolts to the Terracycle platform. I’ll try attaching a picture of the platform on my ICE trike to show you what it looks like. From the logo on the vertical plate ICE use Terracycle parts. The people at ICE are very friendly. Sue and I have been down there a couple of times to test ride and have various things dealt with.

All the best Phil

David Hunter

Aug 3, 2020, 6:58:19 AM8/3/20
to PinoTalk