Hope brake upgrades

GORMLEY Robert

Sep 30, 2020, 11:02:31 AM9/30/20
to pino...@googlegroups.com
So, those that have opted for Hope brake upgrades, which discs are you using? Anyone attempt the vented or floating discs? What diameter?

I've a Ti Pino (so my guess is all bets are off!), with a new MRP Rustler fork and Rohloff gearing - I don't think even Hase know the exact dimensions of such a rare beast!

I'm about to spring for a SON delux dynamo hub (anticipating supply difficulties), so would also likely need a centre-lock to 6 bolt adapter, no doubt further complicating clearances...

Hopefully that won't scupper my chances of a brake upgrade!

I see Hope have a 203mm vented disc for the Rohloff - I suspect the weight distribution on the Pino means that the current rear 160mm disc could be upgraded usefully...

Regards,

Robert

David Hunter

Sep 30, 2020, 11:53:58 AM9/30/20
to PinoTalk
Have changed to 203mm ventilated Hope discs with V4 Caliper on the front and ordered same for the rear as Tektro fade to severe not to change.

GORMLEY Robert

Sep 30, 2020, 11:56:06 AM9/30/20
to pino...@googlegroups.com
David Hunter wrote:

> Have changed to 203mm ventilated Hope discs with V4 Caliper

Which front fork (and hub) are you running?

David Hunter

Sep 30, 2020, 12:01:17 PM9/30/20
to PinoTalk
It's a  Spinner 300 fork and an unbranded front hub on a 2019 STEPS Pino -
 in general it has Deore quality stuff on it as opposed to our last Pino which a lot was XT.

Philip Lowe

Sep 30, 2020, 1:10:49 PM9/30/20
to PinoTalk
Hopefully the pictures will come through. See Hope Tech 3 V4 with 203 mm ventilated discs front and rear. It’s cured the brake failure we were experiencing with the Tektro system. Not cheap, but then what price safety? We cycle the UK Peak District just about every time we go out and we were regularly experiencing fluid boiling.

The front disc is mounted on a SON dynamo using a 6-bolt to Centerlock adaptor. The front fork is a Spinner 300.

You are subscribed to the "PinoTalk" discussion group.
If you have joined recently other members would be pleased to see a short message introducing you.

David Hunter

Oct 1, 2020, 6:04:37 AM10/1/20
to PinoTalk
Love the Hope bling!  I'm afraid I went for black as didn't want to draw attention to an unusual brake and a £100+ disc attached to a quick release wheel.  I didn't go for the braided hose - though now I'm wishing I had laid out the extra.  Unusually, my LBS says, we had to bleed the Hope on fitting as had air in it from the factory.
Am now ordering another Hope for the rear as when riding in N. York moors down 33% hills rear Tektro was fading leaving me with only the Hope at the front working.  Disconcerting.

Philip Lowe

Oct 1, 2020, 6:31:28 AM10/1/20
to PinoTalk
Always wanted a red Rohloff and SON so got the red Hope system to match. We’ve protected the wheels from theft using the PitLock system https://www.pitlock.de/en/shop.html/ . To protect the investment we’ve got this system on all our bikes & trikes with, conveniently, the same code nuts and tool for all.

Head Honcho

Oct 1, 2020, 8:57:23 AM10/1/20
to pino...@googlegroups.com
Getting off topic a bit, I do worry a bit about theft, particularly of easily removed accessories.  However, I believe the distinctive appearance and larger size of the Pino makes it a less desirable target for thieves, at least the crime of opportunity bike thieves.  Certainly, a bike with expensive components may be more attractive to a thief interested in selling largely untraceable parts instead of a complete bike.    I think e-bikes will be more attractive to thieves in the future, due to their expensive components (motors, batteries), not to mention power assist for the getaway!

Though our bicycles are insured, theft or vandalism would be upsetting, consume precious time and ruin a ride or holiday.  So, we try to be conscious about where we park,  that we monitor or secure our belongings and definitely keep our fingers crossed.

GORMLEY Robert

Oct 6, 2020, 3:34:57 AM10/6/20
to pino...@googlegroups.com
Another question Philip (and thank you for sharing your experience!),

> Hope Tech 3 V4 with 203 mm ventilated discs front and rear.
> The front disc is mounted on a SON dynamo using a 6-bolt to
> Centerlock adaptor. The front fork is a Spinner 300.

I've seen some reports that the Hope floating discs are too thick to use with some centre lock adapters - do you know which adapter you used (Shimano's or other)?

Philip Lowe

Oct 6, 2020, 4:14:23 PM10/6/20
to pino...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I used a Quaxar Centra Lock adaptor obtained from Bike-Discount.de.
Just make sure it’s tightened securely with the stated torque. If need be used a thread locking compound but ours is staying tight. There are other adaptors, some of which enable one to use 6 bolts into a splined CenterLock carrier.

All the bes, Phil

Sent from my iPad