call to action - and comments

Semantic-Web-0-point-2-jihad

Oct 15, 2006, 6:53:57 PM10/15/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
I called Chris Messina as I had the idea of "spread the semantic web",
and asked for help.

Partly is was "permission" thing, but it is a meme, not a ripoff..

So thus the site spreadthesemanticweb.com was born.

Wanted to know if anyone would want to participate, or just comment.

The goal is to show what the semantic web is, and how it is easy to
access via SIOC Exporters, or using SIMILIE tools and whatnot.

And of course, what the emerging Semantic Web is....

Have got a good response from W3C Semantic Web Education and Outreach
from Segala.com

Chris suggested I email microformats mailing list (also to read the
list, but too hyper to),
not much response, bu then I want back and read about the origin of
spread firefox, and he said not to be pushy.

Just wanted to also try to spread the meme of "Web 0.2"

While there has been a tremendous shift in user participation, and
applications to facilitate,
the original design was "totally two-way, dude" (sorry, from la)

We are just experiencing a shadow of the Real Web 1.0 . So please,
let's shine a light on the LIE of Web 2.0

The Semantic Web was and is , the orignal concept of Tim Berners-Lee,
and W3C.
A planetary information system of machine processed documents capable
of "self-reference" , aiding humanity in its daily routines.

All the best,

alex

Chris Messina

Oct 15, 2006, 8:06:38 PM10/15/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
Just a word of note... make this your mantra:

"A planetary information system of machine processed documents capable
of "self-reference" , aiding humanity in its daily routines."

It's rare for a movement to take off or become sustainable if it
defines itself by what it is not or in negative terms (i.e. don't harp
too much on the "lie" of Web 2.0 -- whatever you might think it is).

Instead, we really need to focus on the real, tangible benefits of
semantic web initiatives... those things that make it easier for folks
to do things that they want to do with the content and data they
already have. To do otherwise will only confuse and minimize your
efforts.

Tara actually has a great post on this that you should read:

http://www.horsepigcow.com/2006/10/discussion-when-community-doesnt.html

Lastly, about Spread Firefox... there are a lot of reasons why it was
successful, but one was that the product being spread was really good
and solved a pain that a lot of people had. IE produced headaches,
Firefox provided the aspirin.

The semantic web effort isn't the same thing, and needs to offer
different reasons for people to care or get involved. I'd actually
first focus your effort on how the semantic web helps groups
collaborate better -- and on offering simple things that people can do
(like use tagging) to get involved to start. Most folks (including
myself) don't care about the politics of the semantic web. Promote the
results that we can achieve with a more semantic web and I think
you'll be starting off in the right direction.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &

Alex Piner

Oct 18, 2006, 4:29:54 AM10/18/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
> Just a word of note... make this your mantra:
>
> "A planetary information system of machine processed documents capable
> of "self-reference" , aiding humanity in its daily routines."

this is latest draft, i tend to just write, rather than think things through

We Are Really In Web 0.2 - Heading Towards The Semantic Web

The original design of Tim Berners-Lee and W3C of The World Wide Web
was and is one a "planetary info-mesh" of machine processed documents,
capable of self-reference and communication and forming new
relationships with each other, all in the name of aiding Humanity in
its daily tasks and routines.

The user participation and generated content of "Web 2.0" was designed
from the very beginning as Web 1.0, as Tim Berners-Lee said in the
early 1990s that he thought it would only take a year for an intuitive
browser/editor to be created. He said in 1999 he was still waiting.
User agent (browser) "forking" from W3C Standards such as the Netscape
"blink" element caused there to be no HTML 3, but HTML 3.2, or
"Wilbur". This is one small example of how the marketplace has
effected, for better or worse, the continuing development of the
Semantic Web, the original design of The World Wide Web.

Much progress has been made, much more needs to be done. We are in Web 0.2

working on the "informational equivalent of an elevator pitch"

> It's rare for a movement to take off or become sustainable if it
> defines itself by what it is not or in negative terms (i.e. don't harp
> too much on the "lie" of Web 2.0 -- whatever you might think it is).

ah, upon second reflection lie in caps is a bit much..

What about "We are really in Web 0.2"

> Instead, we really need to focus on the real, tangible benefits of
> semantic web initiatives... those things that make it easier for folks
> to do things that they want to do with the content and data they
> already have. To do otherwise will only confuse and minimize your
> efforts.

well, there really are not any at the moment (hoping sioc will combat this)
hmmmm, that makes me think of "who am I talking to" , target audience..

One of the main focal points for me as an individual is the distortion
regarding W3C's Semantic Web Initiative. I now realize it is a bit off
topic. The main thing, as you said, was to show the benefits of
adoption.

> Tara actually has a great post on this that you should read:
>
> http://www.horsepigcow.com/2006/10/discussion-when-community-doesnt.html

Ah, I read it twice since you sent.

After scanning for this draft, the word community struck like lightning.

I am a new member of the Semantic Web Community, so there is not much
"trust", but this is a way to build it...
Also, it is mostly in the realm of academia, and enterprise business.
In that sense I am an outsider. Oy Veh!

Regarding the article, being in a hurry is a big fault, as I am trying
to catch up for years of inactivity.

> Lastly, about Spread Firefox... there are a lot of reasons why it was
> successful, but one was that the product being spread was really good
> and solved a pain that a lot of people had. IE produced headaches,
> Firefox provided the aspirin.

so far, this is the only thing I was "right "about
now I realize that it is a much more different audience, with
different expectations, goals, etc.

> The semantic web effort isn't the same thing, and needs to offer
> different reasons for people to care or get involved.

very true

I'd actually
> first focus your effort on how the semantic web helps groups
> collaborate better -- and on offering simple things that people can do
> (like use tagging) to get involved to start.

thanks, very good insight

Most folks (including
> myself) don't care about the politics of the semantic web.

This is the focal point.
I believe the the Semantic Web represents for the Human race our best
chance for survival.
Going back to Engelbart, whose mission was to address critical
problems in the human condition http://www.bootstrap.org/#3

I am filled with "evangelical fire", as I truly believe this.

Perhaps taking a more "rational" approach would be more effective, but
actually less authentic.

Thanks for the feedback, but especially thanks for the Spread Firefox campaign.
As FireFox has native SVG support, you have done very well in
"spreading the Semantic Web".

Alex
http:spreadthesemanticweb.com

jamesbr...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2006, 9:47:51 PM10/20/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
Mash-up methods pretty much obey Postel's law: consume semantic
content in forgiving, interoperable ways. Tagging (as in del.icio.us)
seems to meet that rule. Does that count as "semantic web", in your
plans? Regards jbc/lawhack

Alex Piner

Oct 21, 2006, 6:10:31 AM10/21/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey James,

Thanks for responding and invoking the Great Merlin Postel..

I would say no, I am no expert, but my guess is at the base, it must
be "machine readable RDF" , of which microFormats tagging is not.

Micorformatters seem kinda nutz to me, like they are just "dicking
around with mickey mouse improvements" whereas we SemWebbers are going
to "Move Heaven and Earth" with a planetary infomesh of persistent
dynamic data.

That is my "arrogant" perspective.

In reality, microFormats (of which a side effect of my work will be to
render obsolete) is The Way to the Semantic Web now.

They cannot wait until a Semantic Web arrives, so are using xhtml to
add semantic data.

MicroFormats certainly has waaaaaaay more adoptions and quite a rich
usage pattern, at least at the webmaster level.

Tantek Celik himself has moved wind and wild rain... But I still plan
on gettin his help in the SemWeb, if I can resist the urge to attack
him (he could possibly kill me, and I would have to increase
reincarnation cycle, a waste of time, so I stay clear of Tantek - and
especially as a possible powerful "force multiplier" Ally in the
SemWeb War).

ugghhhh, does delicuos use mF ?

sorry , been drinking

summary:

consume semantic
content in forgiving, interoperable ways

Sem Web:

produce/consume machine readable content in explicit interoperable ways

help that helps,

all the best,

infoKhan
http://spreadthesemanticweb.com