Online image building tools

David Rogers

Oct 23, 2006, 1:56:14 PM10/23/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
I am wondering if folks in this group know of any good online image building tools.

I'd like to allow customers the capability to build a custom product online (if you recall, I do bamboo fly rods). I'd like for them to be  choose for dozens of options (of parts: reel seats, handles, rod color, guides, wrap colors, etc.), and be able to see the potential rod before they place an order. Or, I'd like for them to be able to print the picture out if they'd just like to dream about owning the rod.

Anyway, any ideas on the right tools?

ta...@citizenagency.com

Oct 23, 2006, 2:13:27 PM10/23/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if thingamy or wufoo would do this.

Thingamy is still being developed, but you can email sig @thingamy.com.

tara 'miss rogue' hunt
agent provocateur
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com)
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

Eric Skiff

Oct 23, 2006, 2:36:05 PM10/23/06
to pinkoma...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about any tools, but I can think of two (relatively) simple ways to do this, based on the same idea.

Take pictures of rods & reels in various configurations (but similarly placed). Then use photoshop to create layers for each individual piece. Once you've got all the pieces as layers you can arrange together, save each permutation, and when, for example, green wrap + light rod are selected, use javascript to show "rod-light_wrap- green.jpg"

If you don't want to go to the trouble of making all the different permulations of images, you could set up layers of transparent pngs and layer them that way.

You could use flash to do the same thign, too :)

-Eric

On 10/23/06, David Rogers <split...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Eric Skiff
Nonprofit Web & Database Admin, Consultant,

Blog    : http://GlitchNYC.com
Podcast : http://AlternativeMusicShow.com
Puppets!: http://FeltUpTV.com

marcus

Oct 24, 2006, 2:39:13 PM10/24/06
to Pinko Marketing Discussion
I agree with Eric on this - imaging would be the best way to visualize
the rods. I know Jason Borger was doing some things with fly tying a
while back, but I'm not sure if he and his dad continued with it. If
you'd like, I could ask them?

marcus