Help testing new version of spreadsheet?

Jonathon E.

Mar 22, 2017, 12:32:31 PM3/22/17
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
All,

I appreciate so much the work that has been done on these Pinewood Derby spreadsheets.  It makes the event go so much smoother!

I am attaching a modified version of the 4-lane spreadsheet, and I would appreciate anyone's help beta testing and providing feedback.  The improvements I have sought to make are:
  1. A single spreadsheet that adapts and formats itself for anywhere from 4 to 20 cars.
  2. A "Now Racing" and "Up Next" section at the top of the spreadsheet, that shows everyone (if projected on a wall) who is racing in what lane, and who is up next.
Again, any feedback would be appreciated.  If this spreadsheet proves helpful or workable, I would be happy to contribute it to the group and make it freely available to all.

Jonathon English
Pack 380
Utah National Parks Council
--
PinewoodDerbySpreadsheet-v2g.xlsx

Chris Sutton

Mar 23, 2017, 1:28:03 AM3/23/17
to pinewood-derb...@googlegroups.com

Jonathan,

Wow.   I just tried this and it auto-configured as advertised.   It uses Excel features better than I realized was possible.

I would like to post it.  But we can wait a few days to see if you get any feedback or testing.

I was stuck for a while at the very first step of entering names because I was not sure where to enter the names.    It would help if the note that says “Start by entering a minimum of four names right here, ....

Chris

niel....@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 10:25:30 AM4/3/18
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
IS there a two lane version of this sheet.?

Jonathon E.

Apr 4, 2018, 5:13:06 PM4/4/18
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
No. We have a four-lane track, so that's what I developed for.

Jonathon E.

Apr 4, 2018, 5:14:22 PM4/4/18
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
Chris,

I'm attaching a version of the spreadsheet that makes it a little more obvious where to start typing.

Jonathon

PinewoodDerbySpreadsheet-v2.1g.xlsx

Chris

Apr 15, 2018, 3:00:07 PM4/15/18
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet

This is easy to use.   Thanks for sharing it.      I put a copy on https://sites.google.com/site/pinewoodscore/ so others can find it.

Thanks
Chris

Jonathon E.

Apr 16, 2018, 11:32:33 PM4/16/18
to pinewood-derb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chris.  I hope others find it useful.  I had a request the other day for a modification that would allow more than 20 racers.  If I get around to doing it, I'll let you know!
Cheers.

hayden....@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2019, 10:20:37 AM8/20/19
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
Hi Jonathan,

Just wondering if you got round to developing this for more than 20 racers?

Thanks

Hayden Small
Kerikeri Cub Scouts
Northland
New Zealand

Jonathon E.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:41:05 PM8/20/19
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
Hayden,

Actually, yes, I recently expanded it to 40 cars this Spring.  See attached version.

Cheers.
PinewoodDerbySpreadsheet-4lane-v3 for up to 40 cars.xlsx

hayden....@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2019, 4:37:23 PM8/20/19
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
That's awesome. Thanks so much for that.

miranda...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2020, 10:55:55 PM1/20/20
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
Hi Jonathon,
I found your spreadsheets online and they are awesome! We have a 4 lane but with a timer. It says in the tips we could enter time in seconds but in the newest 40 car version we can only enter a number 1-4. Is it possible to get a version that will allow for a time with several decimal places? Thanks so much for making this!

Thanks so much!!

Miranda
Pack 136
Beaverton, OR

Jonathon E.

Jan 20, 2020, 11:41:40 PM1/20/20
to pinewood-derb...@googlegroups.com
Miranda,

Thanks for the feedback.  I understand that you have a four-lane track, and would like a spreadsheet where you can record each car's time for each race.  There are different formats of spreadsheets on the site where you found mine, but mine was never designed for times.  (The person who maintains https://sites.google.com/site/pinewoodscore/ wrote the notes/tips that you read, and I really don't know him personally.)  My spreadsheet calculates points based on 1st through 4th placing in each race, and was designed to give all scouts the same number of opportunities to race, regardless of how well their car performs.  It's not a bracketing system.  While, in theory, columns to record times could be added to the spreadsheet, it would not add anything to the basic philosophy of the system.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.  I wish you the best in finding a system that works for your pack.

Jonathon English

Joshua Atha

Apr 20, 2021, 12:40:09 PM4/20/21
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet