5 Car Worksheet in 3 Lane Spreadsheet

Eric Scott

Mar 23, 2016, 2:35:45 PM3/23/16
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
Is there a reason why the 5 car worksheet runs each car 4 times where all the others run them 3 times?

Pack 3074 has used your spreadsheet the last two years. It worked great last year for 21 cars. We used two worksheets that added up to the 21 we needed.

This year, we had 15 cars to start, but 4 more cars showed up late. We didn't want them to be left out so used the 5 car worksheet and added "Pace Car" to the 5th spot. It only took about 20 minutes to run the races, so we did another round using the 9 car and 10 car worksheets.

We added a new worksheet for results and added the total times from the two sets of worksheets. The one with the lowest elapsed time total was the winner (an easier method than calculating an average). One of the adult cars had run the fastest times every heat, but when we calculated the totals, he ended up in 4th place among the adults. [We had 3 categories - Cubs, Youth, and Adults]. We looked back at the worksheets and discovered that the 5 car worksheet had each car run 4 times instead of 3 times like all the others. The extra time added to the total put the 4 cars involved into higher elapsed times, and lower rankings.

So we subtracted one set of times and got the right answers.

Chris Sutton

Mar 23, 2016, 11:11:06 PM3/23/16
to pinewood-derb...@googlegroups.com

Eric,

Thanks for posting this info.  I don’t know or remember why the 3-lane 5-car worksheet is different.    But it is good to note this for others so scores can be scaled correctly.

Chris Sutton

morell...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 11:02:07 PM8/16/16
to Pinewood Derby Spreadsheet
Hi,

I was wondering about how to add a 4th lane. Is it even possible to add a 4th lane to the spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Shahira

Chris Sutton

Aug 16, 2016, 11:05:29 PM8/16/16
to pinewood-derb...@googlegroups.com

Shahira,

Yes.   A 4-lane spreadsheet, Pine4n.xls, is already posted at

https://sites.google.com/site/pinewoodscore/Spreadsheets

Chris

Shahira Morell

Aug 17, 2016, 12:15:14 AM8/17/16