Thoughts on Notes

Kevin Holzer

Nov 24, 2010, 4:08:18 PM11/24/10
to Pinboard
Hi!
I think having the ability to format notes (using markdown, html, wiki
syntax or something similar) would be really cool. Alternatively, the
ability to enter in preformatted text (i.e. monospaced font a la
html's pre tag) would work fine for my purposes. I just think the
ability to give notes a little bit of structure would be pretty
useful. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Kevin A. Holzer

minktoast

Dec 10, 2010, 4:47:37 AM12/10/10
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Markdown support in Notes (and possibly bookmark descriptions as well) - no need for a wysiwyg editor - just support for input and display of the markup.

Trey Piepmeier

Dec 10, 2010, 11:29:51 AM12/10/10
to Pinboard
+1 for Markdown in Notes. Yes yes yes.

maciej

Dec 13, 2010, 10:55:45 PM12/13/10
to Pinboard
I've added markdown support for notes. I'll also be working on
making the notes interface a little bit more useful. Please keep the
suggestions coming!

There won't be markdown on bookmark descriptions because it screws too
much with the site formatting.

minktoast

Dec 14, 2010, 2:48:22 AM12/14/10
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks maciej!

Much appreciated and most of all great that you're listening and implementing features where you can / see fit.  I can think of some larger web services where I wouldn't even bother making suggestions because you just know you'll be ignored.  But Pinboard has always felt different and you're doing a great job of keeping up the family feeling.

maciej

Dec 14, 2010, 2:59:32 AM12/14/10
to Pinboard
Thank you! I'm glad too that I can move quickly on some features that
make sense for the site. I believe that a lot of the inertia on
larger sites comes in spite of the developers. Back at Yahoo Pipes,
we were routinely frustrated by the tortuous approval process for what
seemed to be obvious improvements, and the long list of things we
weren't allowed to fix for pretty bogus reasons. Here Peter and I
can be master and overlord and hopefully make something we'll all
enjoy using.

Amy

Dec 14, 2010, 11:16:27 AM12/14/10
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com

On 13 Dec, 2010, at 9:55 PM, maciej wrote:

> I've added markdown support for notes.

Thanks, how great!

Thedward Blevins

Jan 14, 2011, 2:46:23 PM1/14/11
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 21:55, maciej <mcegl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've added markdown support for notes.
> I'll also be working on making the
> notes interface a little bit more useful.
> Please keep the suggestions coming!

I just tried making a note and the text does
not seem to be interpreted as markdown. Is
there something special I need to do?

maciej

Jan 14, 2011, 2:49:19 PM1/14/11
to Pinboard
> I just tried making a note and the text does
> not seem to be interpreted as markdown. Is
> there something special I need to do?

I've disabled markdown because of security issues (it allows arbitrary
javascript). We'll turn it back on once we can get it working in a
way that doesn't endanger other users.

Brett Terpstra

Jan 15, 2011, 12:55:04 PM1/15/11
to Pinboard
You might want to talk to Robert Palmer of Peg.gd. He's got a pretty
tight lock on what Markdown allows to be processed, including
stripping Javascript. http://honestcode.com/contact-us/

maciej

Jan 18, 2011, 4:16:29 PM1/18/11
to Pinboard
Thank you, I appreciate the lead!

On Jan 16, 2:55 am, Brett Terpstra <m...@brettterpstra.com> wrote:
> You might want to talk to Robert Palmer of Peg.gd. He's got a pretty
> tight lock on what Markdown allows to be processed, including
> stripping Javascript.http://honestcode.com/contact-us/

yokull

Jan 21, 2011, 3:25:51 AM1/21/11
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
a stray vote for textile here :)

maciej

Jan 21, 2011, 5:46:10 AM1/21/11
to Pinboard
I agree. I have two changes planned for notes:

- allow use of a limited subset of markdown
- allow monospaced font for code snippets, maybe with syntax
highlighting

We had markdown implemented in notes for a while, but the risk of
arbitrary javascript injection by a malicious person makes it unsafe
to use on the site. Once I can defang it a bit I will reintroduce
the feature.

On Nov 25 2010, 6:08 am, Kevin Holzer <kevin.a.hol...@gmail.com>

johannes

Mar 12, 2011, 1:07:26 AM3/12/11
to Pinboard
would be great to have clickable links in notes the same way they work
in link descriptions
love your work!

BT

Apr 7, 2011, 2:22:33 PM4/7/11
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
I have one feature suggestion for notes:
If notes a short like <250 char, the description is automatically populated with the full notes content
For longer notes, users can create their own abstract/summary, but for notes which are so short, it would be useful to have the full plain text readily available inline as a description (Like on website bookmarks).

Mark Norman Francis

Apr 8, 2011, 7:32:24 AM4/8/11
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you could just filter any HTML from the Markdown before parsing it? That way lists, links, emphasis and indented code etc. will still come out the other end as well-formed HTML, but anyone trying to inject arbitrary HTML/JS will just be sad.

Anders Thoresson

Sep 12, 2012, 7:41:08 AM9/12/12
to pinboa...@googlegroups.com
Searching the group for discussions on Markdown support, this is one of the threads I found. But I can't find any Notes in my bookmarks. Are they a removed feature?

Where does Markdown support for Descriptions stand today?