Mojave Broke Safari Extension to Save Tab Sets in Safari

Jimmbo

Jan 3, 2019, 7:17:10 PM1/3/19
to Pinboard
Mojave doesn't support the Pinboard Safari extension that saved tab sets.

The only workaround I can see is to use Safari's "save all tabs to bookmarks" function, grab that data from Bookmarks.plist, create a new .plist file, and have Pinboard import the bookmarks (though they'll import as bookmarks rather than as a tab set).

Anyone know a better way? I'm committed to using Safari for the time being.

Liz

Jan 4, 2019, 1:49:44 PM1/4/19
to Pinboard
Hi Jimmbo,

It is the Safari Update that broke it, not Mojave. I am still on High Sierra and the Safari update broke it.

This is a workaround - it works but is a bit fiddly and you have to re-run the Extension every time you launch Safari:

1. Download the extension, eg. Pinboard "Save All Tabs"

2. Change the file extension from .safariextz to zip.

3. Extract files.

4. Click "Show Extension Builder" in Safari Develop menu.

5. On the lower left corner there is a plus button.

6. Click it.

7. Choose "Add Extension".

8. When you get asked to, open the folder where you have saved the extracted files of your extension .

9. Click "Run" in the upper right corner of Extension Builder.

10. You will have to re-run the extension every time you launch Safari.

10.1 After relaunching Safari, open Develop Menu.

10.2 Click "Show Extension Builder".

10.3 Click "Run" in the upper right corner of Extension Builder.

IMPORTANT:

Keep your "Extension folder" in same place on your Mac.

Do NOT delete the Extension File.

(I made a new "Safari Extensions" sub-directory in my Applications Folder so I can find them easily.)

--------------

Thank you to StellarVixen on Mac Rumours for that tip:

Best wishes,

Liz
Message has been deleted

Liz

Sep 28, 2019, 11:42:18 AM9/28/19
to Pinboard
The latest update to Safari makes things even worse.

"Extension Builder" has been removed from the Developer Menu so there is no way to load an Extension that allows creation of Tab Sets in Pinboard.

None of the apps that I could find include that function.

I sent a "Feedback" form to Apple asking to have "Extension Builder" re-instated.

Liz