As posted on StackOverflow

Christos Jonathan Hayward

Mar 22, 2013, 3:34:07 PM3/22/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com

After a day or so of losing at trying to make pinax-social-network 1.0 have the merits of Pinax social-project 0.5 or .7, I'd like to ask how to cut with the grain instead of against it.

The earlier version came as a fully functional site: you could override and customize if you want, but it came "batteries included", as a room with well-chosen pegs on the walls, pictures hanging on the hooks, and furniture as needed. You could replace as much of the room's initial contents as you wanted, but it came as a furnished room.

Pinax-social-network 1.0 is not a furnished room. It has pegs, and the pegs are about as well-placed as you could ask for, but if you want pictures on those pegs, it's on you to put pictures on the pegs. And there is space you can put furniture in the room; the room is left empty so you can put whatever furniture you want in. And the room comes with elegantly placed lorem ipsum graffiti on the walls, to motivate you to paint or wallpaper the walls to meet your taste. It comes "batteries removed."

So... what are the resources, and how does one go about, making a social network here? Do I just take it as a bit of Django putty? I expect I'd do a lot of reinventing the wheel if I just use Django knowledge. Is there a tutorial that shows how to make a live site out of one of Pinax's projects?

I spent a bit of time reading about Liferat Liferay before remembering how painful it was even when I knew it well. The problem here may just be that I am ignorant about Pinax, and ignorance is a changeable condition.

So let's say I know something about Python, something about Django and something about older, fully assembled versions of Pinax, but not how to take a starter Pinax project and make a finished site out of it. I'm ignorant on that point. How can I cure my ignorance? What resources are out there so I can get what was so easily in reach in older versions of Pinax?

--
Christos Jonathan Hayward
Christos Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

Amazon • Author Bio • Email • Facebook • Fan Page • Google Plus • LinkedIn • Professional • Twitter • Web • What's New?

If you read just one of my books, you'll want The Best of Jonathan's Corner.