Re: [pinax-core-dev] What is the future of Pinax?

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 1:22:54 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
Extending this to general Pinax list...

While a lot of innovations have made their way into Django, I still think the Django community is served by:

* starter projects (foundational, demo and out-of-the-box)
* other opinionated conventions not covered by starter projects
* apps that are known to work together, won't overlap in functionality, etc
* themes

which is basically where Pinax is now.

Perhaps the biggest question is whether past contributors and core developers are still interested in contributing to Pinax (and I don't just mean writing standalone reusable apps). Are there people here who haven't contributed before that are interested in helping to drive forward the sorts of things in my list above?

James

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Patrick Altman <pal...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to kick off a thread on what the future of Pinax is now that a lot of the Pinax innovations have made there way into Django Core (e.g. project templates being a big one).

What do folks think?

Thanks,
Patrick

James Tauber
@jtauber on Twitter

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 1:26:43 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
I should add that we should probably have this discussion on pinax-core-dev, I just wanted to make people on pinax-users aware of it.

If you're just in pinax-users and want to be part of this discussion, please join:

James

Phil Hughes

Jan 12, 2014, 1:47:25 PM1/12/14
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
When I first started playing with Pinax, Pinax was "almost" up to date with Django. I saw it as a good way to decrease "the cost of entry" into Django. That is, Django has a steeper learning curve than many less-capable alternatives. Unfortunately, Pinax did not keep up with Django and the differences because a big distraction for me. Had the hole between Django and Pinax not been there I would have done more with Django-based projects and, in some cases, done things that I just decided to abandon.

I briefly worked with Web2Py as an alternative. I think it does what it is advertised to do but for a programmer who thinks vi is the ultimate IDE, it was harder to use and generally didn't do things the way I expected.

Recently, I took something I started in Web2Py and moved it to Mezzanine. I picked Mezzanine because it offered a lot of what I expected from Pinax but is up to date. If Pinax has been there I would have used it.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pinax Users" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pinax-users.

Phil Hughes
nic...@gmail.com

dartdog

Jan 12, 2014, 1:59:19 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
I know it is heretical, but I'd like to see the joining of the Pinax/Mezzanine efforts.. ie pick Mezzanine apart to build the Pinax components (starter etc) and add Pinax components to Mezz..  Just a thought...

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 2:08:28 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
It's actually not heretical at all from my point of view.

I would have loved (and would still love) to have seen (see) larger out-of-the-box projects structured as Pinax starter-projects made up of apps in the Pinax ecosystem.