Current project state ?

Maxime R.

Apr 23, 2012, 7:48:57 AM4/23/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Hi, we're a team of 4 currently developing a social reviews web app.
I used pinax 0.9b1.dev10 in march to start the prototyping of the private beta we plan to launch in the following weeks (public release in the following months).
Since then, Django 1.4 was released. I saw the move fropinax.apps.account to django-user-accounts.

Last friday I started a new branch to port our project to Django 1.4. I disabled django-notification (broken with 1.4), installed django-user-accounts and got stuck when noticing that pinax-theme-bootstrap url templates are broken with the change acct_* → account_*. Did not knew exactly where to report this conflict.
This monday morning I noticed the new pinax-theme-bootstrap-account solving the url mismatch and got it working (still some NoReverseMatch errors with acct_email in what_next.html ).

Anyway, long story short : i'm pretty confused about the current state of the project. A lot of nice activity on theme-bootstrap / user-accounts but nothing on pinax during the past two months.

We like the pinax ecosystem and how it seems to evolve, I'd be happy to contribute if possible.  I'm suspecting a 1.0 release in the near future with django 1.4 compat which would be perfect for our startup project. However i'm not sure if i'm fine going with django-user-accounts now or if i would be better of waiting sometimes to first let the pinax coders decide how they want to structure the project. I perfectly understand that pinax was rewritten from scratch and that it takes time to sort out of the new project structure.
I'd just like to have any insight like we don't know yet/ we're working on it, stay tuned /here is the plan, etc.

A happy pinax user ! :)

Brian Rosner

Apr 23, 2012, 3:47:06 PM4/23/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 23, 2012, at 5:48 AM, Maxime R. wrote:

> Last friday I started a new branch to port our project to Django 1.4. I disabled django-notification (broken with 1.4), installed django-user-accounts and got stuck when noticing that pinax-theme-bootstrap url templates are broken with the change acct_* → account_*. Did not knew exactly where to report this conflict.
> This monday morning I noticed the new pinax-theme-bootstrap-account solving the url mismatch and got it working (still some NoReverseMatch errors with acct_email in what_next.html ).

what_next.html is going to be project-level so you will need to update this yourself.

> Anyway, long story short : i'm pretty confused about the current state of the project. A lot of nice activity on theme-bootstrap / user-accounts but nothing on pinax during the past two months.
>
> We like the pinax ecosystem and how it seems to evolve, I'd be happy to contribute if possible. I'm suspecting a 1.0 release in the near future with django 1.4 compat which would be perfect for our startup project. However i'm not sure if i'm fine going with django-user-accounts now or if i would be better of waiting sometimes to first let the pinax coders decide how they want to structure the project. I perfectly understand that pinax was rewritten from scratch and that it takes time to sort out of the new project structure.
> I'd just like to have any insight like we don't know yet/ we're working on it, stay tuned /here is the plan, etc.

pinax/pinax as a repository is slowing being moved to external components. I would not expect it will be filled with activity other than to delete code that moves elsewhere. It will slowly become a repository that will host the documentation for the components and where to find them.

django-user-accounts is the future for any account related code for Pinax. Template components will be broken out of pinax-theme-bootstrap into their own template apps like pinax-theme-bootstrap-account.

Here are some relevant links:

https://github.com/pinax/django-user-accounts (pinax.apps.account, pinax.apps.signup_codes, django-email-confirmation and django-timezones)
https://github.com/pinax/django-waitinglist (pinax.apps.waitinglist + cohorts from Eldarion)
https://github.com/pinax/pinax-theme-bootstrap (needs more work to be fully broken out for various apps)
https://github.com/pinax/pinax-theme-bootstrap-account (templates for django-user-accounts)
https://github.com/pinax/pinax-project-zero (Django 1.4 project with Pinax conventions implemented; more conventions to come)
https://github.com/pinax/pinax-project-account (based on pinax-project-zero; work being done in dev until we improve the new 1.4 project template system for our purposes)

The idea here is to focus less on pinax/pinax Github repo but rather pinax/* repos.

Brian Rosner
http://twitter.com/brosner
Message has been deleted

Maxime R.

Apr 24, 2012, 5:35:54 AM4/24/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for clarifying this, it's really helpful to have a list of which packages to focus on !

Ryan K

Apr 24, 2012, 8:01:52 AM4/24/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
I second this.  A very useful post!

JohnE Gledhill

Apr 28, 2012, 11:13:03 PM4/28/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
wow, I appreciate pinax. I must ask WHY are all of you "core" developers so silent? We all appreciate this post regarding the future of pinax. If I am to understand, we all should stick with django 1.4 and then add your apps if needed...

Mathieu

Apr 29, 2012, 3:47:21 PM4/29/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Many of us really appreciate Pinax but are now unable to use it. Please guys **communicate** !

You know you are failing in that respect. James Tauber acknowledged that publicly at DjangoCon 2011. But since then nothing was done. How disappointing. Guys, please **communicate** !

I really am eager to hear good news about Pinax.

John Yeukhon Wong

May 5, 2012, 2:32:14 AM5/5/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
We've used Pinax for two years. It was a great product, thanks for the hard work development team. However, not a single core developer came to answer some of the posts here is just irresponsible. I mean it. Everyone has their difficulties -we are busy people, but that is not the excuse to stop answering people's question.

I am comfortable with reading codes and figuring some of the stuff by diving into the source codes.

I think I am going to restart with Django 1.4 and build apps from that point. I am going to do all the integrations myself, using whatever good apps are available. This way, I have at least the power to control everything and document everything. Good luck to other Pinax users.

Matt Mansour

May 20, 2012, 4:10:53 PM5/20/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Pinax is a great project. However, I've also felt there was a lack of community/communication on more than one occasion since I discovered it. For that alone I've moved away from it. However, I am not sure I'd call the lack of communication/community "irrresponsible". The core team built a great app and I learned a lot from it. For that alone I am grateful. My guess is life happens, people get busy and start other projects and ventures.  The team is probably hoping for more developers to contribute to keep the Pinax going. I bet the core team would get excited to see the app extended by the next generation.

One project I've really love working with due to the community it has, passion of the core team, and great code base is Mezzanine. However, Mezzanine is more of a CMS in Django, which makes it an apples to oranges comparison to Pinax.

Matt Mansour
IJC Digital
Bus: 888.656.9922 Ext. 1
Cell: 818.468.0367
Skype: matt.mansour2

James Tauber

May 20, 2012, 5:17:30 PM5/20/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the process of putting together a document listing all of the
apps in Pinax since 0.7 with a brief status indicating whether the app
is still actively developed (and if so, what the canonical repo is, as
there's often confusion about that) or whether it has been abandoned
(and what has replaced it, if anything)

django-user-accounts is the main area where progress has been made
lately along with continuing work on the bootstrap-based themes.

https://github.com/pinax/pinax-project-zero is a work-in-progress
"zero_project" for the new Django 1.4 based Pinax. We started the
equivalent account_project too but progress has been slow on that.

django-user-accounts is in production use (for example, on
habitualist.com) so it should be close to a release.

We also have a new website in the works that will focus more on the
ecosystem of apps, themes and projects.

James

Maxime R.

Jul 19, 2012, 9:45:15 AM7/19/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Does anyone have any info about the current state of django-notification?

Latest version is 0.3a1.dev9 with the last commit in december 2011.

There are a lot of pull requests and forks. Appears we need to code our project specific templates (fine) but also our views, since most of them have been removed.

Are there any big changes to come?

Thanks!

Guillaume Andreu Sabater

Aug 23, 2012, 5:43:51 PM8/23/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd be interested as well in knowing what's django-notification current status. It indeed looks like it hasn't been a top priority, but it would be great to know if it's bound to stay that way or if someone will end up picking up the slack.

Thanks in advance.

john

Dec 10, 2012, 7:15:55 PM12/10/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
are you still using it?
it's such a great project...

Christos Jonathan Hayward

Mar 23, 2013, 7:24:36 PM3/23/13
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
Dear all;

I thought I would ask a clarifying question.

A couple of clarifying questions, actually. Is the pinax-social-project on Github the current and genuine successor for the "social project" as made fully functional and released, or is it a stub merely identifying an intent to release such at a later date, but not now? Apart from the fact that you can log in and update a bare-bones profile, it is a single-page lorem ipsum application. I had assumed that I was making some gross mistake at how to use a fully delivered "social project", and in fact that is in no sense a complete replacement for the social project (unless you're a pure Luddite). But was I just floundering with a stub because it was a stub?

Second clarifying question: Could somebody give me instructions to get a fully functioning social project? I tried to get an old project up and running, but ran into challenges setting up the virtual environment, which pulled http://...tar.gz and complained that http://...tar.gz was not in the compressed format... I pulled the URL up in a browser and there is a non-redirected URL ending in .tar.gz displaying an ordinary web page (I don't remember how I managed to track down that tarball).

I would like a fully functioning social project, which I imagine will be 0.7 or 0.5. I no longer want the latest and greatest. If the latest and greatest is the best working solution, that's great, but I would like to be able to pull the half-page of instructions, build out the virtual environment with all of its dependencies met (or, for that matter, know how to manually install any dependencies that would bomb out), and having a working social project website.

I've had trouble tracking down old Pinax links; if someone could point me to an old or new working tarball which can be satisfied with manageable amounts of workaround, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM, David Robinson <dgr...@princeton.edu> wrote:
Hi Christos,

Regarding the lack of documentation around Pinax, the above thread is worth reading- the project is well on its way to being deprecated (though I don't speak within any official capacity).

-Dave

David Robinson
Graduate Student
Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics
Carl Icahn Laboratory
Princeton University
646-620-6630

Christos Jonathan Hayward
Christos Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

Amazon • Author Bio • Email • Facebook • Fan Page • Google Plus • LinkedIn • Professional • Twitter • Web • What's New?

If you read just one of my books, you'll want The Best of Jonathan's Corner.