Getting plain port 25 mail working

Jonathan Hayward

Jul 21, 2012, 10:50:39 PM7/21/12
to pinax...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to get my Pinax project to send mail by connecting to 10.0.0.1 port 25 (I have hand-tested that I can send emails this way.)

I have in my settings.py:

DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'Orthodox Network <chri...@pobox.com>'
EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend'
EMAIL_HOST = '10.0.0.1'
EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'chri...@pobox.com'
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = ''
EMAIL_PORT = 25
EMAIL_USE_TLS = False
EMAIL_SUBJECT_PREFIX = '[Orthodox Network]'

The email backend is quoted from web snippets, but I think my 0.7 project is out of sync with the EMAIL_BACKEND.

I can successfully import 'django.core.mail' from the virtualenv/python manage.py shell, but I cannot import 'django.core.mail.backends', and a dir on the imported module does not make it obvious where the EmailBackend would have been moved to. I found a snippet at http://djangosnippets.org/snippets/1864/ that looked promising--until I looked at the imports and saw that it imports a submodule of django.core.mail.backends.

Any suggestions on how I can make a python manage.py send_mail shoot over the messages to the server?

The following, from virtualenv/python manage.py shell, successfully sent me a test message:

>>> from django.core.mail import send_mail
>>> send_mail('Subject here', 'Here is the message.',
... 'jonathan...@pobox.com', ['chri...@pobox.com'], fail_silently = False)
1

And a password reset with an EMAIL_BACKEND of 'django.core.mail.send_mail' / 'django.core.mail' didn't leave anything in my inbox.

What should I do?

--
Christos Jonathan Hayward
Christos Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

Amazon • Author Bio • Email • Facebook • Google Plus • Kindle • LinkedIn • Orthodox Network (Profile) • Twitter • Web • What's New?

I invite you to visit my "theology, literature, and other creative works" site. See one page of my website!