What is the future of Pinax?

Patrick Altman

Jan 12, 2014, 11:07:35 AM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to kick off a thread on what the future of Pinax is now that a lot of the Pinax innovations have made there way into Django Core (e.g. project templates being a big one).

What do folks think?

Thanks,
Patrick

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 1:22:54 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
Extending this to general Pinax list...

While a lot of innovations have made their way into Django, I still think the Django community is served by:

* starter projects (foundational, demo and out-of-the-box)
* other opinionated conventions not covered by starter projects
* apps that are known to work together, won't overlap in functionality, etc
* themes

which is basically where Pinax is now.

Perhaps the biggest question is whether past contributors and core developers are still interested in contributing to Pinax (and I don't just mean writing standalone reusable apps). Are there people here who haven't contributed before that are interested in helping to drive forward the sorts of things in my list above?

James

James Tauber
@jtauber on Twitter

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 1:26:43 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
I should add that we should probably have this discussion on pinax-core-dev, I just wanted to make people on pinax-users aware of it.

If you're just in pinax-users and want to be part of this discussion, please join:

James

dartdog

Jan 12, 2014, 1:59:19 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
I know it is heretical, but I'd like to see the joining of the Pinax/Mezzanine efforts.. ie pick Mezzanine apart to build the Pinax components (starter etc) and add Pinax components to Mezz..  Just a thought...

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 2:08:28 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com, pinax...@googlegroups.com
It's actually not heretical at all from my point of view.

I would have loved (and would still love) to have seen (see) larger out-of-the-box projects structured as Pinax starter-projects made up of apps in the Pinax ecosystem.

James Tauber

Jan 12, 2014, 2:14:24 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com
I think one of our missteps was not continuing our work fresh-starting the other starter projects we had.

I think the account starter project is fantastic and I use it as the start of most projects (both at Eldarion and personally). Because it's used so much at Eldarion, we've made sure it's kept up-to-date.

But we never finished doing the same with other starter projects like the one for company websites (basic CMS functionality + blog), or basic social networks. We started but didn't finish a forums starter project.

Symposion is an obvious success story but I think it goes to the heart of what I used to say in my Pinax talks from 2008–2010: it's a lot easier to motivate people to work on a project if there's an actual site to build.

James

dartdog

Jan 12, 2014, 3:54:42 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com
I took the liberty of cross posting to Mezzanine group...

Patrick Altman

Jan 12, 2014, 3:55:42 PM1/12/14
to pinax-c...@googlegroups.com
There is now a https://github.com/pinax/pinax-project-blog which i finished off recently. No CMS bits, just a simple blog.