ode to the missing semicolon

1 view

Raoul Duke

Jan 12, 2022, 4:40:50 PM1/12/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
my pinkie muscle memory actually is happier when i have to put in colons. it feel like i'm being more committed and serious.

David Barbour

Jan 12, 2022, 5:03:09 PM1/12/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
i thought you hated using the shift key

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 3:40 PM Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
my pinkie muscle memory actually is happier when i have to put in colons. it feel like i'm being more committed and serious.

Raoul Duke

Jan 12, 2022, 5:10:59 PM1/12/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
shift sucks more since there's 2 strokes that have to go together. unshifted pinkie action is generally ok by me.

David Barbour

Jan 12, 2022, 5:34:21 PM1/12/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
"my pinkie muscle memory actually is happier when i have to put in colons."

Colon is a shifted character on my keyboard. Did you mean semicolon here?

I don't miss use of semicolons in languages that mostly work without them. They read like line-noise to me most of the time. An exception is stuff like `for (int i = 0; i < n; i++)`, where we want to separate statements or expressions on a single line.

Raoul Duke

Jan 12, 2022, 5:39:03 PM1/12/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
yes, yes i do.