state is the root of all evil

Raoul Duke

Mar 19, 2024, 7:13:10 PMMar 19
to pi...@googlegroups.com
i think React with Hooks bends into breaking the DX. what was a more function event loopy thing with redux becomes more of an imperative feeling thing with gooks. it becomes too much spooky action and overly sensitive to scope. i mean it is all relevant but it is for me quickly too much magic complexity that feels arbitrary. the only reason i can write any code that works is because if the compiler errors that tell me what to fix to be correctly hooky. otherwise i'd be dead meat.

Raoul Duke

Mar 19, 2024, 9:39:31 PMMar 19
to pi...@googlegroups.com
The kicker is that the automagic is rather hard to debug it seems.

Mike Austin

Apr 6, 2024, 1:18:26 AMApr 6
to PiLuD
Yes, hooks without a custom compiler is crude. I feel it’s a good path but very manual, especially getting the dependencies right (yeah, the linter will tell you). I heard React 18 has a compiler. There’s also SolidJS I’d look at.