config & parsing & static checking

1 view

Raoul Duke

Aug 22, 2022, 7:43:38 PM8/22/22
to pi...@googlegroups.com
I feel like configuration is one of those places people can perhaps
most easily understand the desire for meta-ness? To wit:

* one wants to be able to have a single source of truth of config
(key, value) pairs and types.

* one wants to be able to type the values and statically check them.

* one wants to be able to not repeat the hard coding of things like
filename extensions or types in the runtime code ie "getPathValue(key,
".jpg")", "getLongValue(key)", "getBoolValue(key)" etc. all make me
barf.

* one wants to be able to generate tests automagically w/out
copy-pasta everything all the time.