PalmOS-Newbie: Link time error "Entry point too distant"

mks

Apr 28, 2006, 7:10:19 AM4/28/06
I am VERY MUCH NEW to Palm programming, although I am a nerd of Palm
(m100), Linux, and cygwin.

I have installed prctools, pilrc, sdk, etc. etc. on my cygwin
installation (an older version).

I am able to compile one of the sdk examples (viz. Palm Finger).
However this is done after applying many kludges, e.g. copying crt0.o
and pilot.ld to source directory, and establishing symbolic links to
ALL the header files found at various places in to a single place,
adding path of this place to Makefile, etc. etc. etc.

Now I tried to compile a VERY simple (few-liner) program, it compiles
fine, but ld complains about "entry point to distant" telling some
large hex number as address (something like 0x100000000)

Where is the problem?

TIA

Muhammad Kamran Shakil
Islamabad, Pakistan

Tim Oltrogge

Apr 28, 2006, 4:18:09 PM4/28/06

"mks" <mks...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Are trying to write a program which has more than 32K bytes of code? Then
you will have to set up a .DEF file which contains a 'multiple code' phrase
and use the macro
#define EDIT_SECTION __attribute__ (( section ( "procdb" ) ))
and put EDIT_SECTION just before the closing ; on all your function
prototypes.

I know I'm not giving you much detail here, but just wanted to tell you to
start with a small program at first since the Motorola 68K processor doesn't
allow jumps greater than 32K bytes but you can get around it by structuring
your application in multiple code segments.

Tim, Pennsylvania, PA USA

mks

May 2, 2006, 12:00:43 AM5/2/06
Thanks Tim for your reply, I will surely look in to my code, but as I
have already said that it is a VERY first and a few-liner program,
there is no point to suspect this.

Waiting to get some other hint, while I am checking my code.

Ciaran Keating

May 2, 2006, 1:58:50 AM5/2/06

Hi Muhammad,

If you're still having trouble, how about you post your code (and makefile
etc.) here and maybe I can have look? Also, you said that the ld error is
"entry point to distant" - that's clearly your own paraphrasing... can you
post the exact error message? In fact, post the full output from ld.

Cheers,
Ciaran