Pigweed Live Notes: 2023-08-14

chadn...@google.com

Aug 14, 2023, 5:48:32 PM8/14/23
2023-08-14
Landed recently highlights (full changelog)
  • Improvements to Rust support for pw_stream
  • Bazel toolchain rules for LLVM
  • Prototype VS Code extension
    • You can try it now! pw ide vscode --install-extension
    • But you probably want to hold off for a little while longer
  • Several docs improvements, including rustdoc generation
  • Zephyr RFC for including Pigweed as a Zephyr module
Coming soon
  • Faster docs builds – instantaneous for typical docs editing experiences
  • Richer VS Code extension features – all pw_ide features exposed via UI elements rather than tasks
  • SEED-0107 Comms 2.0 – last call! Get your comments in! CL, Discord thread.
Agenda
Modular toolchains in Bazel -
  • Slides
  • GN is great – it’s powerful, simple, and fast
  • GN is not great – it’s not commonly used, it’s not very actively developed
  • Bazel is great – it’s very well integrated with tech in the Google world, it’s very widely used and actively developed, and has a better modularity story (better than $dir_pigweed_…)
  • We’re not dropping support for GN, but we are moving to supporting Bazel as the premier Pigweed build system
  • Challenges with Bazel + Pigweed:
    • Global project configuration
    • pw_* wrappers
    • Multiple ways to set up toolchains, and they aren’t inherently designed to be extensible
  • Others have tried to solve this problem before: rules_cc_toolchain, CRT
  • Check out the presentation for details on our solution proposal
Updates on Rust support in Pigweed -
  • Tokenizer landing today-ish (CL)
  • `rustdoc` docs now linked to modules that have them (example)
  • Facade design prototyped (CL)

Sent from document [PUBLIC] Pigweed Live Notes