Resetting VNC window size

D R

Feb 10, 2024, 9:51:16 PMFeb 10
to PiDP-8
I have used the VNC headless access to all my various Rasp Pis, but to save on monitors, keyboards and so on.  And space.

I have six that I use regularly, with -8 and -11 PiDP installs.

About a month ago I ran into a problem that is very frustrating and so far haven't gotten a Google or Duck search to fix it.

On my computer I open the VNC viewer, and it shows my accessible Rasp Pis.  Usually I click on on, sign in, and get an image of the entire screen as I'd see it  if I had a monitor and keyboard on it.

However, on two of them, I get a dinky little box showing just the upper left of the screen layout.  I go to 'Raspberry Pi Configuration (by going to the left most icon, the raspberry) and click on "Display" which shows "Headless Resolution" and when I go to the top of the screen, I can drag the part of the screen to the left, and come to the drop down box which shows the resolution, which  is set at a low value of 640x480, which explains the dinky view I get.  I click on the box and select a larger view, such as 1024x768 , similar to the values I have for the Pis which are running and I can see the whole screen.

Here's the catch... In order to enter that value, I have to go to the bottom of the screen and do an Accept.  There is no way I have found to get there!!!!

I have tried dragging, making the display box bigger by clicking and dragging which only makes the display bigger but not the area displayed.  I've tried using arrows but that only gets me back into the resolution size pick list.

How the heck can I 'scroll' down to the bottom so I can choose the Accept button?

The only way out of this I can see is to get the PiDP-8 out of its spot, take the back off, find a monitor to plug in, along with a keyboard and mouse, all of which is a lot of work.

I'd think that a nice program like VNC would have a scroll bar on the side to go up and down or a keyboard short cut to do so.  I finally found I could move the display left and right by dragging the title bar, but there seems to be no way to go down.  And the choices are either Cancel or Accept, but there does not seem to be a hot key that I can do a Ctrl-whatever to do that entry.

Anyone run into this or know where I might find help?  Thx.  Dale

Alen Shapiro

Feb 10, 2024, 10:53:46 PMFeb 10
to D R, PiDP-8
Hi D R,

Have you tried ssh into the Pi and running
sudo raspi-config
to set the headless screen resolution?

Also, which operating system are you running on the Pi… earlier versions *really* mess with VNC size and resolution :-(.

Regards,
—Alen

Sent from my refrigerator

On Feb 10, 2024, at 21:51, D R <daleea...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have used the VNC headless access to all my various Rasp Pis, but to save on monitors, keyboards and so on.  And space.

DR

Feb 10, 2024, 10:56:04 PMFeb 10
to Alen Shapiro, PiDP-8
No, I'm a complete dolt when it comes to the commands other than what I
find listed for using it.  And your suggestion will be tried tomorrow
morning when I get a wee bit of sleep.

And  your suggestion implies that I should run the simple commands to
update and upgrade and reboot, too!

Thank you for this suggestion.  I appreciate it.  Dale