ERROR installing PiDP-8/I software on a Pi 4

The Oracle

Jul 11, 2021, 10:16:14 PM7/11/21
to PiDP-8

Good evening all,

I’m Using this procedure to install the PiDP-8/i software on a Pi 4, I get to the highlighted step and get the fowling error.

Any ideas ?

Option 2: Full install of the pidp8i software from the Fossil repository

  ​The recommended way to install the pidp8i software. Necessary if you want to use the Pi 4 (as of 2019-08-15) and useful for anyone who wants to easily update or become active in development.

Steps after you've set up your Pi with an internet connection - get the required packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libncurses-dev
sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo apt-get install python-pexpect
sudo pip install pexpect

sudo apt install fossil

Now, for the actual install on the Pi 4:

mkdir -p ~/museum ~/src/pidp8i/trunk ~/src/pidp8i/pi4-gpio-hack
fossil clone https://tangentsoft.com/pidp8i ~/museum/pidp8i.fossil
cd ~/src/pidp8i/trunk   # (just ignore comment from the shell)
fossil open ~/museum/pidp8i.fossil
cd ../pi4-gpio-hack   # (just ignore comment from the shell)

fossil open ~/museum/pidp8i.fossil pi4-gpio-hack

this is what I get back.

content missing for media/etos/etosv5b-demo.rk05

missing content, unable to checkout

./configure && tools/mmake && sudo make install
sudo reboot

Thanks,

Lynn

Warren Young

Jul 12, 2021, 8:44:12 AM7/12/21
to PiDP-8
Oscar's site is frequently out of date with respect to the current code.

Try the trunk branch first, using the standard build instructions. It's possible that the Foundation has updated their platform libraries so that if you're running on an up-to-date version of Raspberry Pi OS, you don't need the hack from this branch at all. That branch was created in the early days of the Pi4, so it may not be relevant any more. I wouldn't know because I don't have a Pi4 to test with, and if I did, I wouldn't put it into an unventilated wooden box.

If tip-of-trunk still doesn't work on the Pi4, switch to the pi4-gpio-clean branch (not the original outdated hack!) and try that:

$ fossil update pi4-gpio-clean
$ tools/mmake && sudo make install

If that works, let me know and I'll consider merging it down to trunk. The only reason it isn't part of the release is that we didn't get enough feedback on it prior to the release in February, presumably because most people aren't running Pi 4s in their PiDP-8/I.

Maki Box

May 9, 2022, 11:04:32 PM5/9/22
to PiDP-8
Running the PiDP-8 on Raspi 400 should not cause termal issues?
Have not seen many popele running even on older Pi4.
Still before installing the software.
Pictures:
The Pi-400 GPIO port loosely connected trough 40 pin cable, custom made adapter.
Origami work included when folding the cable.

Pi-400 PiDP-8_2.JPGPi-400 PiDP-8_3.JPGPiDP8 GPIO adapter right orientation.JPG

Neil Higgins

May 10, 2022, 4:43:01 AM5/10/22
to PiDP-8
I have had a Pi4 almost since they first came out. The thermal performance has improved significantly over time. I was quite alarmed when the early thermal problems came to light, and I installed my Pi4 in a heatsink “case” like this: https://core-electronics.com.au/pimoroni-aluminium-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4-gold.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmuiTBhDoARIsAPiv6L_e4QyThgErL7tba6mjA8aaF41KMzZET8wjDCNC4pdZKJ-cmSC60zoaAuhtEALw_wcB. It just sits on my desk, and I don’t even notice the temperature now.

Having said that, there is the possibility that an un-throttled simulator like SIMH might just gobble up all of the CPU time there is, leading to heating problems. I’m not sure how SIMH behaves in that regard, but I imagine that throttling would avert most problems. An un-throttled simulator will run at many times the original speed.

Sorry, I’m not the kind to play around with settings, so this is all very qualitative - however - one way or another, I think you should be able to run a PDP-8 simulation (only) without worrying about heat. If you then start using the Pi4 for other things as well the PDP-8 simulation, you should monitor the temperature.

Maki Box

May 10, 2022, 5:42:06 AM5/10/22
to PiDP-8
user tangent... mentioned " a Pi4 in an unventilated box"
Why did he not cut a few vent slots in?
Basically every builder of the kit has been forced to cut holes in.

I will give it a try running PiDP( emu on Pi-400, which basically IS a Pi-4 in another form factor.
All the other Pi's are sold out. Even small batches of newly deliverd have vanished within seconds.
I have no other choice. Bonus, the Pi-400 has the keyboard built in?

All my older Pi's are busy running usefull tasks.
 i.e. PiHole, monitoring Air traffic via ADB-S receiver, managing print jobs,...
I will not sacrify them for just playing around with blinking lights.

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

May 17, 2022, 4:54:22 PM5/17/22
to PiDP-8
Don't worry about heat...even if SIMH would somehow run at 100% CPU (and it doesn't on a Pi4(00)), it would only be one of the four cores that would max out because SIMH is essentially single-threaded...you are absolutely safe.
Also If you look at teardown videos of the Pi400, you will notice it actually has a huge de-facto heat sink plate that is thermally bonded to the CPU, unlike the small Raspis that just have the heatspreader on the CPU for thermal dissipation.
The keyboard will come in handy as well.
Cheers
HB