Hello everyone!

chris

Jun 14, 2024, 10:27:29 AMJun 14
to PiDP-8
Nice to be here :-)

I completed my PiDP-8 a couple of days ago and have been happily reading manuals, learning skills that I hope will come in useful in the future, such as PDP-8 assembly code and TECO.

I never (as far as I know) used a PDP :-( but I am old enough to have connected to university computers from a terminal room, used MULTICS, Unix and (later, a VAX/VMS and SiliconGraphics workstation for my exclusive use :-)

My actual centre of interest is the ARM chip (since the ARM2 in my Acorn Archimedes 305), which I've beeen programming (in assembly code) since ~1988 (?)

My first question (although I'm actually more interested in writing some programs) is about the status of the graphics. I'm getting confused because of the various bits of (out-of-date) info I find scatterd around and even, dare I say it, broken links!

How to demonstrate SpaceWar! to my younglings?! I connect to the PiDP-8 via ssh from my MacBook. It would be nice to have an emulated VC-8E / VR14 (?) running on the Mac too. Is this possible yet, or likely to be in the near future?

Regards,

chris

timr...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2024, 11:58:18 AMJun 14
to PiDP-8
That sounds really interesting.  I never played it on the 8.  We ran TSS/8 only and on an 8i.  Was there an option for the VC8 on an 8i?  I don't remember.  But we did not have one if they did offer it.  The first machine I used that had this type of display was the KA-10 at Penn State.  We'd design our "proto" systems on it using the available TTL library of chips.  And it was connected to an Analog computer which we used for projects too.  Was a fun and great system. Thus why I wanted the PiDP-10.

Ben Hodes

Jun 14, 2024, 12:17:32 PMJun 14
to timr...@gmail.com, PiDP-8
> How to demonstrate SpaceWar! to my younglings?! [...] It would be nice to have an emulated VC-8E / VR14 (?) running on the Mac too. Is this possible yet, or likely to be in the near future?

Here's exactly what you're looking for, but on Windows:

ggrinton

Jun 17, 2024, 1:26:56 AMJun 17
to PiDP-8
Thanks for the pointer, benhodes. Do you (or anyone else) have any more details? I see the "about" web page appears to have been deleted.

Mike Katz

Jun 17, 2024, 11:18:30 AMJun 17
to PiDP-8

Bobby Ess

Jun 17, 2024, 11:23:47 AMJun 17
to Mike Katz, PiDP-8
Here is a PDF of the article if others are having issues with the link.

LunarLander.pdf

Mike Katz

Jun 17, 2024, 12:10:21 PMJun 17
to Bobby Ess, PiDP-8
Here is a copy of the actual DECUS Program Library documentation for it from 20-Jan-1970.

On 6/17/2024 10:23 AM, Bobby Ess wrote:
Here is a PDF of the article if others are having issues with the link.

FOCAL8-81_LunarLanding.pdf

ggrinton

Jun 17, 2024, 7:50:39 PMJun 17
to PiDP-8
Thank you justme...@gmail.com. Sorry to have confused people. I was actually replying to benhodes, who posted a link to information about the VC-8E/VR14 displauy emulator. Maybe I should have posted a new thread.