Copy paste in ssh not working for me

Andrew Herbert

Sep 14, 2022, 6:42:29 PM9/14/22
to PiDP-8
I am connecting to pidpi8 via ssh running from a Mac terminal.app window.

I have tried to copy and paste text from another window to the pidp8i screen (where I have set up a .R PIP / MYFILE<TTY: to save the paste to an OS/8 file) but I am finding either the paste has no effect, or I can paste an initial small block of text and then it locks up.

What's the problem?

Andrew

Rick Murphy

Sep 14, 2022, 7:33:39 PM9/14/22
to Andrew Herbert, PiDP-8
The problem is that there's no flow control, and the PDP-8 hardware has no buffering.
When you fill the buffer that the TTY driver is managing and handing that data to PIP, then there's nothing to do any kind of flow control to stop the input while PIP is sending that data to the hard drive.
SIMH could handle this gracefully, but it would then be acting differently from the "real" hardware.

Use the paper tape reader - that has a start/stop that allows the data to be read in until the buffer fills, read pauses and doesn't resume until it's ready to read again.
    -Rick

Rick Murphy, D. Sc., CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Warren Young

Sep 15, 2022, 6:43:12 AM9/15/22
to PiDP-8
On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 5:33:39 PM UTC-6 k1mu....@gmail.com wrote:

Use the paper tape reader

That, or any of several other methods. You aren't the first person to run into this problem, Andrew. That's why we have documentation. Hint. :)