Notes on PiDP-8 build

Ken Hansen

Mar 25, 2024, 3:30:40 PMMar 25
to PiDP-8
So, I built my 6 year-old PiDP-8 kit, here are my notes on the project:

1) the build instructions talk about installing momentary switches upside-down, my (OLD) kit had center-off momentary switches, so they rest center-off and have two momentary positions:

image0.jpeg

DR

Mar 25, 2024, 5:15:03 PMMar 25
to pid...@googlegroups.com
A question regarding #5)  (you can tell I'm not a Pi OS expert)

Q- When you do the sudo apt update, does it grab a new OS if there is
one, that is does it only update to within say Buster, or will it
recognize there is a new and improved OS and download and install that?

Thx. Dale

August Treubig

Mar 25, 2024, 5:18:03 PMMar 25
to DR, pid...@googlegroups.com
It will only update the current OS. No magical upgrade for Raspbian.

Aug
AG5AT
Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 25, 2024, at 4:15 PM, DR <daleea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A question regarding #5) (you can tell I'm not a Pi OS expert)
>
> Q- When you do the sudo apt update, does it grab a new OS if there is one, that is does it only update to within say Buster, or will it recognize there is a new and improved OS and download and install that?
>
> Thx. Dale

DR

Mar 25, 2024, 5:22:45 PMMar 25
to August Treubig, pid...@googlegroups.com
Thank  you.  I suspected that but didn't want to try without knowing.

Dale

Mike Katz

Mar 25, 2024, 9:05:14 PMMar 25
to August Treubig, DR, pid...@googlegroups.com
That's not true, to the best of my knowledge

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade

If my memory serves that should completely update the OS to the latest
revision.

Note:  However, this may not always work, if the new OS has some
fundamental differences that cannot be resolved by apt.