VHB tape for front panel

Logimancer

Jun 29, 2024, 3:54:12 PM (5 days ago) Jun 29
to PiDP-8
Hello All,
Just got my PiDP-8 kit and I was wondering if anyone has used VHB tape to fix the panel to the front of the wooden case.
I've used it for a ton of stuff, but it might be a little thick to use for this application. I saw the mention of double sided sticky tape to hold the panel in, and don't know of any other tape that is much thinner.

Also, the white painted area is a little chewed up at one edge (on the back) and I was wondering what (if anything) people have used to touch up the edge of their front panel.

First two things that came to mind were black sharpee on the back or black fingernail polish. If the tape I use to fix the front panel to the wooden case is dark enough, this shouldn't matter, but VHB isn't quite black.
Thanks

Charles Ess

Jun 30, 2024, 2:01:56 AM (5 days ago) Jun 30
to PiDP-8
Hi, and congratulations on getting this far!
I've not used VHB tape, but rather modified Oscar's suggestion by folding a short piece (less than 1") of black electrical tape ca. 3 times to create a shim ca. 1/16" wide to hold the panel in place via friction. These work perfectly on my two boxes - with the advantage of no stickiness, so that removing the panel when needed - which may be more often than one might initially assume - is easy-peasy.
I've not had the sort of cosmetic issues you describe, so having nothing tested to offer. Black electrical tape might be an option?
Best of luck and enjoy!

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 30, 2024, 10:26:03 AM (4 days ago) Jun 30
to PiDP-8
I second that  :-) (black electrical tape for both issues). You don't want to use anything that is super-strong sticky-wise.

Cheers
HB